jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

Alternate of CopyScape for checking the duplication

1. pimpmyberry profile image61
    pimpmyberryposted 3 years ago

What is the best and free alternate of CopyScape ?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I copy and paste a phrase from about midway through into Google with speech marks (always forget what those darn things are called!)

"is the method of planting tomatoes in"

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
        DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

(**quotation marks**)

Them's the ones!

2. Beth100 profile image84
        Beth100posted 3 years ago in reply to this

How accurate is this?  I've tried it, but I'm not confident that it actually "catches" the copied content..

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I find that it does at least as good as copyscape.

1. Beth100 profile image84
            Beth100posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Wilderness.  I do use Google for this purpose, but sometimes, I'm just totally lost with all of this.....  hmm  I know that many of my hubs have been copied, but how do you keep up with all the users who do this?!?

3. pimpmyberry profile image61
        pimpmyberryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

But by using Google, its not sure its 100% CopyScape passed content. Normally I also use Google search for checking the copied content as its doesn't require paid account.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

I think you have to keep things in proportion.

How much time is it going to take, to sit down and copy and paste excerpts from each of your Hubs into Google, one by one?  How much is your time worth?

Copyscape Premium costs 5 cents per URL.  You only need to run a check once a month at the most (if you do it more than that, you're being paranoid!).   The first time you use it, you have to paste in the URL of each of your Hubs - but that doesn't take long, just export your Hub list as a .csv then copy and paste.   You can then save the list to re-use in the future.

It takes no effort to get the results, and then you just have to scroll through them and file DMCA's.  Copyscape lets you keep track of which ones you've filed, too. 

Considering that you could use the time saved to write more Hubs and make more money, copyscape isn't that big an investment, is it?

Good point. I don't bother anymore. Some of my baby articles have been plagerised on so many forum posts. As long as they don't outrank me, I don't bother tracking them down. If they do, generally a quick email gets the copied content replaced with my link - YAY more traffic!

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't bother much any more either.  I notice my blogs rarely get copied, and I only have a few Hubs these days anyway.   Even when I was actively checking, I would only do it every three months or so, which meant the cost was negligible, really.

2. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Since my hubs only earn an average of about 20 cents or less a month each, it's not really worth the effort or expense for me to use Copyscape let alone any more laborious method

working