Internet Security for City Folk

1. 61
    jawilli5posted 3 years ago via iphone

Internet security is something that everyone, not just City Folk, take for granted. When my wife gets a computer she thinks that just because there is wifi built in and showing different wifi signals to connect to in the area, that she can just hook up to any of them and surf the Internet safely. Wrong! Connecting to any wifi connection in the area is not a great idea and could put you personal and financial information in jeapordy. You should always know the source of your connection, it should be secured through WPA or WPA-2, or any newer encryption standard and you should always be sure to avoid sites that you do not know or messages that pop up on your computer screen. Though this is only part of safely surfing the Internet, these tips should not be taken lightly and other security measures should be taken while connecting to and surfing the Internet. Do you have any stories you would like to share or questions you would like to ask about Internet Security?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks so much for this information!    I'm not very knowledgeable about WIFI and so this really is a timely warning.
      I wonder---does the same lack of security apply to cell phones when connecting to WIFI on them?

1. 61
        jawilli5posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, if you are connecting to an unsecure wifi network, then the information transmitted to and from your cell phone and other wireless devices could be compromised. Make sure you know what network you are connecting to and avoid networks that are open, as they could be malicious or networks that are dummie networks that lure you in then steal your information. Not saying all unsecure networks are like that, but why risk it? Thanks for reading.