jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Question for the Internet savvy.

1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 2 years ago

We pay maybe $45 a month for internet. My kids play on their PS3, we watch Netflix, we do FB, sharing pics, and email, google etc. That's about it. I thought maybe we were paying too much, but as I'm looking online, I'm thinking maybe it's not such a bad deal. A lot of places offer $14.99, but it says "for the first year" or whatever.

Does anyone know if there are companies that should be avoided? And are there better deals to be had or does this seem like a fair price? Thanks smile

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
      Marina Lazarevicposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What speed (mbps) are you getting? Depending on that, $45 may be too high. Many ISPs do the "for the first year" promotion and then they jack the price up hoping customers won't notice! I'd avoid Comcast if you can, but in many regions that's unfortunately not an option.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have no idea what my speed is. I do know when we have netflix/playstation3 and a comp or two on at the same time, the whole thing starts hiccuping, but ATT convinced me that was due to an old (8 years) router. I don't know how to find out my speed.

1. bBerean profile image61
          bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are lots of sites to test it.  Here is one:  http://www.speedtest.net/

1. profile image0

Oh thanks! Im at the library now. I'll do it tonight when I get home from work. smile

Sounds good.  Just so you know, download refers to data coming from another source to you, upload is from you to another source, (such as uploading a picture to Facebook, etc).  It is typical for upload to be much slower, as folks generally aren't as concerned about how quick sending things away goes.  What you are interested in is a good download speed, so when you request a movie or want to load a page, it happens quickly.

1. profile image0

Hey I knew that, I'm only moderately stupid. (Im gonna wink, get ready.) wink
                Oops, leaving the library now. Bye

I guess I am full blown stupid, so I stand in awe. http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2583129

1. profile image0

haha. And that's what you get for coming back. Enjoy!

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
          Marina Lazarevicposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd just call up ATT and ask them what speed you're paying for. I agree with Zelkiiro that you probably want at least 20mbps. When you know what speed you're paying $45 for, you can compare the rates with other ISPs in your area.

2. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

My internet speed is, apparently, 21.44 mbps. It's decent, but it tanks hard when anyone else in the house downloads anything.

So yeah. That should be your absolute bare minimum speed if you've got a lot of internet stuff going on in your house.

working