jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Humans Need Not Apply

1. bBerean profile image60
    bBereanposted 2 years ago

Can robots take over your job?  Are you sure?

This sobering video is well done and worth the 15 min you'll spend watching.  Please take a look and share your thoughts.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Very interesting indeed!!! As you shared it is sobering. The component I saw that sticks out is the rate how quickly technology is moving as compared to mechanization. Very rapidly overtaking job descriptions in far less than a generation as compared to lifetimes. It is kinda' scary considering  . . . rather than Humans Need not Apply . . . Humans Obsolete? 

The car became possible for a common person through automation and mass production - the assembly line. That occurred around 1910, even though historically goes as far back or earlier than 1700. Anyway, it has been a century. We operated the cars initially mechanically - manual steering, manual brakes, manual transmission, manual windows, and etc.

The super highway speed limits were 55? Today, 70 or higher in some states and as most seem to drive at least here in California. However, electronic controls were introduced to cars around 1970 and today we are seeing as the video showed electronic 'driving'. Amazing . . . the freeway system will soon become automated just like today's modern assembly line. Imagine.

Thank you for sharing this video. smile

2. Sed-me profile image82
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

A robot could not do my job... unless it was a "skin job" as mentioned in Battlestar Galactica... my inner nerd is showing.

bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would feel better knowing it took a cyborg to replace me, as opposed to an ap, or worse yet, a script!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm retired.  There isn't a robot or cyborg around that can operate that remote as I can.

bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

So you've not yet heard of the CP(Couch Potato)3000.

3. electronician profile image94
    electronicianposted 2 years ago

Very interesting. I've written about this topic a couple of times but I hadn't seen this video.

I really think there is a strong possibility of mass unemployment across the world within just a few decades as a result of robots and software taking over more and more jobs.

This could be a real crisis but also a real opportunity if we reorganize our economy - when I was a kid the science fiction shows and futurists would often talk about a future in which human beings lived a life of idle pleasure served by machines, but the way our economy is currently organised it would be more likely we would end up with a small super-rich elite who own the machines, and the masses dependant on either government welfare or charity to survive. We may have to choose pretty soon which future we want or the choice will be made for us.