jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

April Fools Day Virus

1. RKHenry profile image80
    RKHenryposted 7 years ago

Just saw this on CNN and thought it would something that would interest everyone.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/24/conf … pstoryview

So what's the deal?  Is this factual?

2. RKHenry profile image80
    RKHenryposted 7 years ago

Well I'm glad nothing came of this.  But I got to thinking about this the other day, when was the last big virus meltdown?  I wonder, if the world had a mega meltdown computer virus today, what would be the final outcome.

3. Toronto12 profile image60
    Toronto12posted 7 years ago

It's scary to think that someone or group can have control over possibly millions of computers.  Could be used for an organized attack.

1. RKHenry profile image80
      RKHenryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I think the x factor would be mind boggling.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There's many factors to how virri propagate. Most of it is just simply praying upon ignorance or the gullibility of people. It sucks that we live in a world where we have to ask ourselves if someone is going to send us something that is unknowingly tainted.

The first virus known in the "wild" was actually written (if memory serves me correct..) for the Apple II. It wasn't actually something that screwed up many people, because the internet was mostly the sneakernet.

The kid that wrote it...did it just to have people he knew stop asking him for new pirated software and the likes. wink

Today we've tons and tons of software and code. Microsoft's OS is getting better at being not only more stable, but more secure. They've learned a lot from their competition, but still have a long way to go to closing up gaps and design flaws.

But there will never be a day when any computer is safe. Because, like previously mentioned, we're often infected by our own hands on accident.