jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

I need some help / advice on adding Google Adsense to a website

1. SpaceShanty profile image92
    SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago

I have a Google Adsense account which got accepted for before I joined HP from my Youtube videos and then later used it here at HP.

I now want to add the code to a website I own (wordpress site, nothing adult or dodgy).

I have read conflicting opinions on whether I need to tell Google or just add the code to the site.  I am confused about 'authorised sites'.

If someone can help I will be very grateful!

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It depends what kind of account you have.  If you get your account based on a shared site, you are often restricted to that site only, and have to apply for permission to use it elsewhere. 

I've never had an account like that so I don't know where you find that info, sorry.

SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think this is the first time I have seen you say "I don't know"! smile

For the record I have a hosted account which means I can only use Adsense on hosted/partner sites, like Youtube and must apply/have my site approved if I wish to use the code anywhere else.

2. Craftypicks profile image79
    Craftypicksposted 2 years ago

No you don't, but you should do that ownership thing.  Go to Adsense, Into your account. On top My ads, generate the code. Place the code in a widget. Wait a few minutes and it will start up. Go back to Google, add your site. Done.

3. Craftypicks profile image79
    Craftypicksposted 2 years ago

Oh!!! Only 3 ads per site. I did 3 widgets. There are other places you can put it but it looked bad. read the TOS carefully.

Thanks for the tips, I should have mentioned I have a 'host'/'hosted' account.

I followed the instructions and I *think I have done it.

I won't plaster the site with Adsense code, one is enough I think.

1. Craftypicks profile image79
        Craftypicksposted 2 years ago in reply to this

One, and then you see the clicks and you will be adding the 3. I think of adsense as my tip. You don't make much but when you hit the 100 threshold it's sweet. Google is pretty nice. They hasn't put really bad ads on my page. It's a crafting site and I often see very on topic ads. I have asked friends to look, not click and see what ads they see and they are always the ones I see. The only ones I don't like are the ones that open when you hover. They are a pain.

I'm sure it will be tempting to add more but I think I will limit myself to two!

4. misterhollywood profile image93
    misterhollywoodposted 2 years ago

Think of getting an Amazon Affiliate account. I've done well with them and the have lots of advertising options. Adsense is good but be super careful. I think someone mentioned reading the TOS ... Good advice!

Yes I know one must be very careful with Adsense which is why I was asking here first, normally I would just whack the code in and see what happens!

1. Craftypicks profile image79
        Craftypicksposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I know someone that had their adsense taken away and it will never be restored. They are done. I don't even give my friends and family my website URLs because I am afraid they may push buttons. I am very careful. It's no joke when you break a TOS rule. They give no second chances.

working