Do women in technology profession face descrimination?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. accofranco profile image78
    accofrancoposted 15 years ago

Do women in technology profession face descrimination? If yes,site instances with good backing.

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sheesh. What is this? A question from some exam that you want us to answer lol

Anyway, my answer is no.
      So  I guess that excuses me from writing an essay to justify my opinion.
      Eric G. cool

1. Junkster profile image62
        Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that with a few questions set by the OP, they make for good discussion points but I dislike being hoodwinked into answering someone's homework, almost like those people who come on here begging for their dissertation or final year report to be completed for them, or worse people selling them!

Not that I'm saying this person is doing that 8)

Back on topic no, I don't think they do.  I listen to a lot of podcasts and the majority involve a female presenter to some extent.  People like Veronica Belmont and Sarah Lane.

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Regardless of what profession a woman is in there is some type of discrimantion. We are a male dominated World but we are getting there. FYI: You spelled discrimnation incorrectly.smileI am going to see if I can fix it, if not you will have to correct. smile

1. accofranco profile image78
        accofrancoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

AEvans i am 100%ly correct "discrimination" check your British English dictionary please? American English is different from British English.Thanks anyway.

1. countrywomen profile image59
          countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Accofranco- Both in the forum title/opening thread there was a typo descrimination. Please do cross check whenever somebody who cares for us points out our mistakes(which btw even I commit a lot) smile . Btw I hope you had a happy easter http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/lostsoul066/Smilies/thhappyeaster.gif

3. profile image49
      srfppc2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

IEEE Singapore GOLD Affinity Group was approved in September 2003. It is really an excellent group. so register now.

2. rmshdc profile image56
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

I don't think discrimination doesn't see which profession you are into.  I feel there are instances where discrimination is gooing on in technology profession!  Right now, I am not able re-call or back my statement.

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

As a graphic designer (2/3 art + 1/3 tech), I find there is sort of a 'male' look to some design.  Do find some male designers to be a little bit 'prima donna.'  Which is their issue, not mine.

My sister is a web designer, at at times she has a leg up, given the fact she'll work for less money (newspapers notorious for that).  They got rid of the 'techno-savvy' guy who they initially placed above her.

4. accofranco profile image78

In some countries,situations,Tech women are descriminated.I am a mechanical engineer by profession,and i have seen this happen.A woman mechanic most times get bad remarks and treatments frm colleagues,friends and even male folks.What about women minners and welders? Think about those in civil engineering.Please don't just post a reply because u saw others posting one,think first.Read IEEE mags free at:www.ieee.org/theinstitute.Bye

I was wondering when the spam links would start rolling in.

5. rlakies profile image60
    rlakiesposted 15 years ago

Lol  Well woman always have a 1 up on men these days.  Companies get have quotas to fill with woman in work.  I get sexist when woman think they are being plated against.  They get raises from not hard work but from wearing a skanky dress.  i also read a poll that said over 30% of woman use sex to get promitions and raises!  Crazy right?  I think that woman are also smarter then men, really.  They can multitask there way through insane amount of things.  Negitives they get emotional and that can really affect work.  Also the multitasking also leads to not getting things done by deadlines.  These are my personal experience with woman.

STOP PLAYING WITH MENS MINDS TO GET RAISES!

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Haha, this is funny. smile

And I'm with AE---male dominated society, women don't make as much as men. Can this change? Maybe, with time. But probably not within our lives.

And women in technology were once rare, and coveted...but a lot of women I've spoken to who once held jobs repairing computers and what not were looked upon by early customers of the industry as less knowledgeable as their male counterparts.

6. Junkster profile image62
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

lol whoa, you could be in for some fire here haha!

I think the multitasking thing is a total myth, both sexes are good at multi-tasking from my experiences...and not just in the areas you tend to associate each one with!

7. rlakies profile image60
    rlakiesposted 15 years ago

I know i know but my judgements are from person experience. I have seen a girl cry in a meeting and the bosses in order to make her happy give her a 10% raise after being employeed for 3 weeks.  She is not the best worker we had and didnt deserve the raise at all.  It is just the power of the girl, im very jaded about it since then.

sound's a bit shady that. Perhaps they were frightened of what she'd do because she cried.  All depends on the circumstances of the crying I guess

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

I guess im out of the loop but I never considered miners or mechanics as being in the technology field?

I would imagine, that the technology field would be one of areas that had the least discrimination - as ones work speaks for itself and other than the first name who knows who is responsible for the work?

Im sure offices in general, the workplace dynamic can result in discrimination/harassment against women, but that would be irrelevant to the field.

I worked under a woman in my first job as a graphic designer (well not like that! or it wouldnt be work!)

and concerning the OP - i still suspect something crazy to happen in the long run but:

Please don't just post a reply because u saw others posting one,think first.Read IEEE mags free at:www.ieee.org/theinstitute.Bye

that is not a SPAM link...it has no affiliate link - it is a legitimate resource

9. aanaedwards profile image63
    aanaedwardsposted 15 years ago

I feel that women are facing discrimination in the field of technology. As many men feel they can do better in technology than their counterparts. Although there are examples where women have performed far better than men but still women have to face discrimination from the male dominated society.

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

To a certain extent you are right about some folks but in general it also depends upon us within the first few months what kind of reputation we set up. I would say strictly pertaining to the job at hand in IT field there isn't a lot of discrimination and women are treated with respect/understanding (if they have other responsibilities like kids etc).

10. accofranco profile image78

O i see? I spelt des... instead of dis... It was a horrible typo mistake but AE did same, she spelt "discrimnation" instead of "discrimination".But i appreciate u guys thanks.

11. accofranco profile image78

You know i love AE she is my mentor,she's always there to guide me. To CW,i had a great Easter hol... the entire family came together,both the ones living abroad,it was a great time indeed! Thanks.I hope yours was great too?

12. Junkster profile image62
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

My boss at my last job was a woman, and as a matter of fact quite a lot of senior staff members were women and this was a large IT services company.

I have no discrimination against male or female managers, the basic fact is they're my manager and need to respect them.  Although on a general note bosses who demand respect and show none for others is one thing I can't stand! GRR!

13. profile image53
    faizaiqbal72posted 13 years ago

Russian Federation stated that it had restored link with a martial artificial satellite which nowadays seemed to get on the wrong orbit, Interfax news organization covered on Wed.
    Just visit: Latest Updates

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)