How much do you know about how the Internet works?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 23 months ago … ar-BBfPBJv

WASHINGTON — Most people can recognize Microsoft founder Bill Gates and know that hashtags belong in tweets, but are confused about whether having a privacy policy means that a company actually keeps consumer information confidential, according to a new Pew Research study released Tuesday.
    The 17-question quiz is available online at .

Not surprisingly, people under 30 seemed to do better on some of the questions than older Internet users, such as knowing what a "Wiki" or "captcha" is. But young or old, only about 6 in 10 Internet users understood that "net neutrality" refers to the equal treatment of digital content by service providers. The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether it should regulate the broadband industry more aggressively to prevent providers from playing favorites among content sites like Google, YouTube, Amazon or Netflix.
    Maybe take the quiz and check your knowledge

2. gposchman profile image87
    gposchmanposted 23 months ago

For about the last 30 plus years I made my living on the internet, and while the questions in the quiz relate to the internet, they are not really representative about how the internet works.  I missed 2 questions, and while I'll accept the missing one of the questions of the first graphical internet browser as valid, I had access to Netscape navigator before it went public, so I had it before Mosaic went public.  As for Moore's law, that could be argued as being an inaccurate question, because while it does refer to the number of transistors on a chip, it does not actually state the number, only how the increase of the number will grow. In all honesty the picture of the woman I did not recognize, but I was able to pick it through process of elimination.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 23 months ago

I'd say you are an expert for sure. I do remember Netscape and Overture...not Mosaic....oh well.wink