jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Assisting the Technologically Impaired

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image89
    Jacqueline4390posted 19 months ago

You still may have friends or maybe even family members who shy away from using the internet believing that all their personal information is “up for the taking.” Especially seen in some elderly individuals—using the computer is cumbersome as well as costly.

If you had an aunt that fit the above description—what would be some of the ways of convincing her that it’s quite safe to handle various activities online?

2. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 19 months ago

Get her together with people of similar age who happily use computers and the Internet for a variety of purposes.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 19 months ago

My Mom (who recently turned 70) finally got a computer about a year ago. She doesn't do much with it other than e-mail pix of my kids (her grandkids) to various friends/family members, and look things up on "The Google." (to her it's not just "Google," it's The Google, as in "Have you tried looking on The Google?")

... of course since the internet is still "new" to her, she's continually "forwarding" me supposedly-hilarious jokes and pics that weren't even particularly funny when I first saw them... in 1998. I don't have the heart to say anything.

Jacqueline4390posted 19 months ago in reply to this

I think that is really sweet that she is starting to "get her feet wet" using the 'net. Just give her time :-)

4. SheilaMilne profile image89
    SheilaMilneposted 19 months ago

I find it sad that "the elderly" are always singled out as examples of the technologically impaired.  In my years working in IT, I spent hours helping the technologically impaired who were half my age.  Worse still were the youngsters who thought they knew it all and caused all sorts of mayhem.

I also found that working in IT miraculously produced an expectation that it qualified me to repair toasters, electric kettles, or anything that plugs into an electric socket and has little lights on it.  Especially if it makes humming sounds.

Jacqueline4390posted 19 months ago in reply to this

Well ... since I now fit in the category "the elderly" (although I don't look it yet) I enjoy the small banter! When a person becomes a certain age ... its really great to have a little bit less restrictions on different things. Sorry, if you give exception, didn't mean any disrespect!

2. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Hah!  Try being an electrician.  If it has batteries, plugs in, has anything to do with lightning or has a wire anywhere I'm instantly qualified and expected to fix it!