jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Former Reddit CEO: The trolls are winning the battle for the Internet

1. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 20 months ago

According to the former Reddit site CEO,the sheer numbers of harassing,bullying and hate messages have caused users to feel intimidated enough to eventually leave.
      "Fully 40 percent of online users have experienced bullying, harassment and intimidation, according to Pew Research. Some 70 percent of users between age 18 and 24 say they’ve been the target of harassers. Not surprisingly, women and minorities have it worst. We were naive in our initial expectations for the Internet, an early Internet pioneer told me recently. We focused on the huge opportunity for positive interaction and information sharing. We did not understand how people could use it to harm others" said Ellen Pao.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog … ar-AAd47vO

I found a number of articles stating that she and others were suffering with online trolls attacks, and wonder if it was just her and people that were unhappy with her.

No, it's not excuse to behave badly; what do others who used the Reddit forums think?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image92
      TessSchlesingerposted 20 months ago in reply to this

It occurred to me a week ago that the change in my personality about 21 years ago was from the nastiness I came across on a daily basis on the web. It virtually destroyed my life for about 20 years. About a year ago, I realized that there was only one way to deal with personal attack, and that was to shut it down fast. So regardless of where it happens, I delete and block and report. I do not believe in giving these people even a moment of my time. A study recently revealed that trolls were actually mean and nasty people. I believe that.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 20 months ago

It's all about anonymity on the Internet. People feel empowered on the web when reality is knocking them down. Why do bullies bully others? They're dealing with insecurities and personal issues so they take it out on other people. The internet works the same way, and I'm surprised many are so shocked by this.

That's what you have to keep in mind when communicating on the Internet. So it's best to ignore the hateful comments and know the person behind the computer is likely completely different offline. The nicest people outside the web may be angels but the persona online could be a disgusting troll.

Bottom line is you better have tough skin and not take things so personally online. I know I myself have touched on negative feedback and trolling in a few of my articles, and the message is always the same. Also don't be a troll to get back at someone, just be yourself.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image92
      TessSchlesingerposted 20 months ago in reply to this

You said, "now the person behind the computer is likely completely different offline. The nicest people outside the web may be angels but the persona online could be a disgusting troll."

The study I was referring to was conducted by a university and the trolls were asked to complete a series of questions. It turns out that the people who are trolls online are just as nasty offline, and that they are, indeed, just miserably, nasty people  whether they are online or offline.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
    Live to Learnposted 20 months ago

My experience has been that many people are bullies when given the opportunity. Some, considered the nicest people others know. Many times the only thing that holds that bully in is the fact that acting it out would cause them to lose their standing in the social group they are in. I've seen people with the potential to be incredibly nice degrade into a pack mentality when it becomes acceptable within that group to target individuals for bullying. I think your study may have simply identified a problem group and then searched for reasons, unique to them, as to why they were a problem group. The problem is much more pervasive than many who have never been targeted believe.

The problem I see with the internet causing more bullies to be exposed is that

a. What is said can easily be verified. It isn't a 'he said, she said' scenario. So, those people can neither deny their actions or somehow spin their words into something else.

b. These people don't have the safe guards which have historically been the norm for toning down aggressive behavior in many. Many people act in accordance with what they believe those around them expect or would approve of. People at computers are normally alone, with no eyes on them, and don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the internet allows all eyes on them, after the fact.

working