jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Changing permalinks on a Wordpress site

1. NateB11 profile image94
    NateB11posted 16 months ago

I started a site about a week ago and it was indexing nicely, pages were rising in the SERPs, and then I realized my permalinks were wrong; that is, I was using the Wordpress default permanlinks with the date and the "index php", blah, blah, blah. So, I went in and changed the permalink structure to just the domain name and post title. This was done a few days ago, and there has not been any indexing of the new URLs. Should I bother with putting in 301 redirects or just let them index in time?

1. Rodeon profile image63
      Rodeonposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I think you should just let that fix itself. Google takes care of good content for its own interests, and would send its crawlers in time. smile

1. NateB11 profile image94
        NateB11posted 16 months ago in reply to this

I think you're right about that, especially since the site is so new anyway.

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 16 months ago

Doesn't WP do its own redirects already? That is, if someone clicks in the previous iteration of a post's link, they will automatically arrive at the new address.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image94
      Don Bobbittposted 16 months ago in reply to this

YEP!

2. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 16 months ago in reply to this

I'm not too sure, maybe their dot com site does, but I did test this out by clicking on the links from Google search results and it took me to my site but the post wasn't there. I'm thinking either way it will get sorted out when the new URLs get indexed.

working