jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Addicted to Watching Google Analytics "Real Time"

1. agilitymach profile image99
    agilitymachposted 6 months ago

When I publish a new hub and post it on my Facebook fan page, I start watching the hits come in on Google Analytics "Real Time."  It's so fascinating to watch it spread around my country first and then the globe.  Does anyone else do this?  Am I the only Real Time Nerd?

1. Chriswillman90 profile image90
      Chriswillman90posted 6 months ago in reply to this

I've been addicted for the past few weeks too, and it's always fascinating to see how traffic expands.

agilitymachposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I am so glad I'm not alone!!  I'm sitting here tonight watching the stats come in totally entralled.  Then I started wondering if I was normal. smile  I am glad I am not alone in my Real Time addiction.  I just saw a reader from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  It is so cool to think who we can reach through a place like HubPages!

2. eugbug profile image94
      eugbugposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Yes, big time! It's a sort of voyeurism I suppose and fascinating to see the search terms people use. My lawn mower hub gets lots of traffic at the weekend and it's fascinating watching all those orange circles light up on the east coast of the US in the morning and the "wave" of circles moving westwards as poor unfortunates run into trouble mowing their lawns! Wouldn't it be great if we could shout out to the people as they visit our hubs!?

3. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I had never bothered to look at 'real time' before, but when I saw this thread, I had to go look. Great...there goes the afternoon!

agilitymachposted 6 months ago in reply to this

LOL!!  I know!!  So fun to watch.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 months ago

I am the same! My main website usually has about 50 people viewing at any one time, so it's awesome to watch the sources, locations and content they're reading.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I agree it is fascinating.

3. Adam Harkus profile image60
    Adam Harkusposted 6 months ago

I'm even worse, I have a chapters of short travel articles, so I also like to see if people read previous / following chapters.

4. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 6 months ago

I used to long ago, back in the days when there was traffic for me to watch. Sorry to be the downer dude on this thread.

Needless to say, this thread caused me to take a look.

Amazingly, I see traffic! Including from the niche sites.

I am hereby, officially perked up.

I think I'll let the critter run all day and see what's what.

5. agilitymach profile image99

Eugbug...Yes it feels like voyeurism.  I'm sure most people don't realize we can find out stuff about them (location, OS, device, how they "travel" through the site, etc.), so it feels like spying.  I love that you can watch your lawnmower hub light up across the country as people go out to mow their lawns and run into trouble.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who does this and finds it fascinating to watch the ebb and flow of traffic geographically!

6. agilitymach profile image99

And is anyone else addicted to reading comments about your article's shares on Facebook?  I always post my new articles on my Fanpage on Facebook, and from there, I can track the shares and even read comments.  I can only see some of the shares because of individual privacy settings, but it is so cool to read their comments.  That feels very much like spying because the people commenting have no idea the author can read their comments.  I get ideas for edits, new content, and if my information is coming across clearly.  It's a very helpful form of "spying."