jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

To Twitter or Not?

1. TeriSilver profile image91
    TeriSilverposted 2 weeks ago

I've had a twitter account for a number of years but haven't done much with it. It seems I should build my Twitter following if I am to effectively use it to convince newsmakers and PR teams that I actually have one that can share information, I never really cared that much (and it feels strange to open it up like this). So, if you're on Twitter, please add me; @terisilver.

Unless you think it's a waste of time. Is it?

1. louise-barraco profile image81
      louise-barracoposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I have Twitter and I follow a lot of bloggers one of which has helped me with my new blog that should be starting soon so give it a go see where it goes

2. Solaras profile image93
      Solarasposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I have no use for twitter. Sorry, I can't help you.

1. eugbug profile image93
        eugbugposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I can only speak personally but as a means of generating traffic back to HubPages/niche sites, I've never found it to be of much benefit (but still keep trying, hoping for a tweet to go viral!).
        The problem with Twitter is that even if you have thousands of followers, if those followers also follow lots of other people, they will only see a small fraction of tweets by those they follow in their "stream". So unless you're a celebrity with followers hanging on your every word and ready to like and retweet, it's an uphill struggle. In any case, use hashtags to categorise your tweets so that at least if someone searches Twitter for a topic, your tweet may come up in the search results.

The niche sites have social media accounts on Twitter, Google+ and Facebook. On Twitter, followers are in single digits and some of the accounts haven't tweeted yet.

Pinterest is a better bet as a source of traffic. I reckon this could partly be because pins are in a semi-grid format so more content is instantly displayed to a user without having to scroll down the "toilet roll". Also the home feed shows "picked for you" pins, which will resurface your pins and show them to users every so often, unlike the Twitter stream where everything continually flows and disappears.

working