Computer Issue

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years ago

Need help from some gurus out there.   I use Chrome and MSWorks 9 on Windows 7.  Every so often, MSWorks crashes, even though it was working perfectly before.  This has been an ongoing problem, and I have tried to reinstall, do a dskchk, etc.  It happened again tonight and I cannot get it to work!  I checked for updates and did all of the other stuff, but it freezes when I try to open any part of it and I can't even get it off the screen.  Must shut down , etc.  Any advice?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As a last ditch effort you can do a "system restore" to restore your computer to the exact state it was in at some point in the past.  You need to choose a restore point when MSWorks 9 was working fine.  Here is a tutorial for Win 7, will work even if you computer isn't a Dell:
      http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN85604/en
      Your files will be intact, but any software you installed after the chosen restore date will be lost and you'll have to reinstall it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When I did a System Restore on my Dell, it warned me that my files would also be lost - and sure enough, they were.

So don't do a System Restore unless you have a full backup of everything!

1. profile image0

Oh crap!  My files survived thankfully, but newly installed programs were all erased and had to be reinstalled.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Calculus Geometry:  I have a question:  If you do a system restore, does the computer not eventually "catch up" to where it is now?  I have done one of these in the past and it worked for awhile, but once Microsoft started adding updates. down it went again.  Works did not work at all yesterday, even after I did all of the "stuff"...this morning it is working again.  So aggravating...just can't figure out what the problem is.  This happens every few weeks.

1. profile image0

I also had this issue when running Windows 7 and borderline-compatible older programs. The updates it constantly downloaded were incompatible with my old programs and caused them to crash. So I changed to settings to turn off or reject updates and combined with system restore everything went back to normal.  My system restore operation held as long as I didn't allow any new updates.

Some people say it's bad to turn off the updates, but if you have a good antivirus program you should be somewhat protected.  It really depends how attached you are to some of your programs.  I may be wrong, but I think MS Works isn't officially supported past Vista. For me, the benefits of being able to use my old programs outweighed the risks of never updating Windows 7.  I guess you have to decide what's better for you.

If you do decide to retire MS Works, Open Office is a good alternative.

I actually did turn off my updates, and it did help.  I am VERY attached to MS Works, but have begun doing backups using Open Libre and Open Office.  I use Open Libre because it can read MSWorks documents and then save them in Open Office, but it's a lot of work.  You probably are right in that it's no longer supported, but it's a great program that has worked well for me for many years and I'm going to try to keep it as long as I can.  I do have a good anti virus program, but the problem is that I continue to get these aggravating crashes.  Thanks for the good advice you gave.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The crashes are caused by the updates.  Turn off the updates and the problem will go away.

Did that...and it still happened, just not as often.  My computer guy told me to do a disk check when this happens, and that seems to fix if for awhile, but I did this yesterday and nothing happened until today.  Very weird!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)