What is your favorite blog site?

1. Rafini profile image86
    Rafiniposted 5 months ago

After reading Marisa's article on blog monetization I decided to leave Blogger and start a new blog, but can't decide where to go so I thought I'd ask other hubbers where they blog.  What are your experiences with existing blog sites?  Are they easy to use?  Easy to monetize?  Free?

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago

I answered this on another thread.  I have my own blogs on a hosting service ("self hosting") using Wordpress.  I think the Wordpress software is by far the best solution for blogging, because you can do very sophisticated things with it, including creating a shop or offering event booking or - anything you can think of really.  So it's a great way choice if you think you may need complex functionality in the future. 

One thing people often miss when comparing prices is that you can run multiple blogs on ONE self-hosted Wordpress account, you don't need to buy new hosting for each new blog.  So if you have several blogs, it is vastly cheaper than, say, Weebly.

Even if you don't think you'll ever need to do anything fancy, the navigation on Wordpress is so vastly superior to Blogger, I think it's worth it for that. On a large blog, good navigation by category and sub-category is critical for reader satisfaction.

If self-hosting is too scarey - and I know it is, for some people - I recommend Wordpress.com.   It completely removes the need to understand how to set up hosting, how to do site maintenance and updates, etc., and if you have only one blog, it's cheaper (about $35 a year, I think).  It has some limitations compared to self-hosting but it's child's play to move to self-hosting if you decide you need extra features, because it uses the same software.

working