Windows Or Linux?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (47 posts)
  1. aniketgore profile image59
    aniketgoreposted 14 years ago

What you prefer?  I know many will say Windows. But have you given a chance to Linux?  Give a look at ubuntu you will forget 50% windows.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Given a choice, I'd choose Mac.

1. priyankmaniar profile image62
        priyankmaniarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think mac is best because it also provides you with a good user interface and no viruses too big_smile i wish mac was in india, but i m going to get that anyway (Mac Leopard for intel and AMD Pc's)

2. randyb634 profile image61
      randyb634posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use Windows and Linux.  At my job I use Windows and for my Blogs, I use Linux.

Windows is for the people that want everything setup already.  Linux allows you to be more specific about what you want in a computer.

1. profile image0
        lrigognamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's your job?

3. usmanali81 profile image61
      usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Linux is outstanding

1. getpaidtopost profile image39
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can if you wish install both widows and linux with harddrive partitions, to do this you need to be in dos mode, command prompt, type "fdisk" create a partition and specify the size. now you have a partition which you can install linux.

remember to change your computer settings, to enable boot order at startup. On my computer to get to the computer settings i press f2 at startup.

4. Mobile Phones profile image58
      Mobile Phonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My vote goes for Windows.

5. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use Ubuntu, that's what actually attracted me to this thread. Windows sucks. I LOVE Ubuntu. I am getting ready to try Linux Mint coming up here sometime soon.

2. FunFacter profile image51
    FunFacterposted 14 years ago

I use Ubuntu all the time. But I won't say windows sucks I am not technology expert I did computer engineering at university and I think windows is a good decent operating system. I prefer it for games. I like Ubuntu for many other features which you can just check out by going at Youtube and typing Ubuntu vs Vista.

People are so scared of Linux but most new linux distros are pretty much like windows but safer, easier and best of all FREE.

aniketgoreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. And its true. Ubuntu is same may be more better than windows. I also like windows, but i hate the fear in peoples about linux.

3. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

I've been using Linux since 2000, and its come a long way. Its been my "day to day" desktop for the better part of a decade almost now, though there have been stents where I used Windows more often than the other.

I keep XP on my computer for a variety of reasons--usually to test out websites/my Hubs to see how they look, etc., etc. Also, can't beat it for computer games (for the time being) and making music (for the time being, but just like the other, Linux and Mac OS is quickly overtaking.)

I'm mostly elated to use Linux because much like me, these people code programs because they're driven to. I post a lot of my stuff around for free because I'm simply driven to make it...I'm most happy seeing someone enjoying it!

G|M

4. jibanislam profile image61
    jibanislamposted 14 years ago

I use XP and Ubuntu. Xp is more user friendly. But Ubuntu is safe. So I'm going to convert my OS only on Ubuntu.

aniketgoreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good thing. Congrats dude.

5. The Phil profile image59
    The Philposted 14 years ago

Windows... if you believe in great support and troubleshooting assistance (anywhere).

Linux... if you like headbanging and fussing with scripting. But a great tool for the seasoned vet.

1. lxxy profile image59
      lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've obviously never used the write distro, my friend, it's as easy as a Mac these days. If not, dare I say it...easier.

Then again, both OSes are built on the same technology originally created over..what..like..nearly thirty years ago?

6. hnyaji profile image60
    hnyajiposted 14 years ago

Hi
    this question is like asking Mumbai or Delhi?
    what will you answer?

7. leocbrito profile image59
    leocbritoposted 14 years ago

If this question was made to me few months ago, I certainly would say Windows. But after use the Ubuntu in my school, I really like it, and is hard to say which one I prefer actually big_smile

8. Zeta Sfico profile image60
    Zeta Sficoposted 14 years ago

windows. i tried ubuntu before and like it too.but, the problem is i can't find certain driver for my computer for ubuntu. sigh..

9. priyankmaniar profile image62
    priyankmaniarposted 14 years ago

instead of ubuntu try Fedora, Red hat or Open suse, u may like that more then ubuntu, all i like about ubuntu is the Free Disc. . .

10. profile image0
    MangoGirlposted 14 years ago

Been using Ubuntu for a year. Never had any problems since.

11. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 14 years ago

Not tried Linux yet.

12. vishalg8 profile image61
    vishalg8posted 14 years ago

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. In offices, you have no choice but to use Windows. But for personal use, I use Mac (havent tried Linux yet but soon will).

13. Mike Craggs profile image68
    Mike Craggsposted 14 years ago

I went from Windows XP to Ubuntu 8.04 via a couple of run-ins with Fedora distros. Given the money I would prefer to go back on to a Mac. But without the money I would be inclined to swap over to Linux Mint 7 "Gloria".

Of course, that also depends on how good Windows 7 is when that is released.

Decisions, decisions.

14. profile image52
    kaleshwarposted 14 years ago

Linux ubuntu 100%. I still have dual boot with win xp but last time I booted it up was over two years ago.
    For servers I prefer to use fedora.

15. imadork profile image70
    imadorkposted 14 years ago

I just did the switch.  I use Kubuntu (I tried Ubuntu but found the GNOME desktop butt-ugly and child-like).  I'm liking it so far but I'm still learning and discovering.

16. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Why not both.

17. imadork profile image70
    imadorkposted 14 years ago

Both are good.  I set up dual-booting and have the best of both worlds.  Although, I have little use for Windows lately.

One thing that bugs me about Linux is that there are no good dvd authoring packages that are on par with Nero.  Nero comes with a Linux version but it does not convert divx to dvd format.  That has been my only disappointment so far.

Anyone know of a single Linux (I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu) program on par with Nero (conversion, create chapters and burn) please tell me.  I would be forever grateful! neutral

18. nobama is better profile image57
    nobama is betterposted 14 years ago

OSX on kernel

19. lain profile image60
    lainposted 14 years ago

I use Ubuntu for work, Windows for fun.
    Windows is more reliable, but not nearly as flexible, and many apps just won't work under Cygwin.

20. Lunalu profile image60
    Lunaluposted 14 years ago

I had use both of them. My choose is Windows, dislike the OS. like Linux.

21. getpaidtopost profile image39
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I used Linux mandrake and redhat years ago around 1999-2001 however as I required plug and play enabled I went for microsoft windows. However you asked which one is best, and now Id still say Linux, Very safe, reliable OS, however I am still not sure on there support of third party external devices in the form of driver support and plug and play compatibility.

22. fritteritter profile image81
    fritteritterposted 14 years ago

I am more productive in Linux. With the Compiz application, I can easily flip through several organized desktops of applications, zoom out to see all that is running, and employ other minor usability enhancements.

I am also a big fan of Ubuntu's package management... installing an entire video and audio editing suite is as simple as "sudo apt-get install audacity kdenlive". Most programs load much faster in Linux, I have less need for resource-consuming anti virus and anti spyware products, and I have more control over the entire computing experience.

I still use Windows for Adobe products when I am not familiar enough with the free Linux substitutes, but I have been able to find free Linux programs which are as good or better than the programs I was using in Windows. I'm a programmer, so your mileage may vary, but I think that it is worthwhile to research Linux and determine if it could work for you.

1. imadork profile image70
      imadorkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the suite suggestion.  Looks good.

1. fritteritter profile image81
        fritteritterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, there are a lot of other options but that's what I use. You can find mostly anything you need on forums, too. Cinelerra is another popular video editor, more powerful than kdenlive I think but definitely not as easy to use. I find kdenlive easier to use than Premier in Windows, though you need to save often due to occasional glitches which cause it to crash (might be fixed now, I haven't used it in awhile).

1. imadork profile image70

Thanks.  I'll check out Cinelerra too.  That's the good thing about Linux -- you can try a program and if you don't like it just load another one.  It's free!

I loved Nero Vision.  It was so easy.  I had Premiere but never took time to learn it.  Looked too complicated.

23. Mac Mission profile image59
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

I use redhat linux and winxp. I love the look and feel of redhat but i wanted to know one thing why mac is so popular why cant linux?

1. fritteritter profile image81
      fritteritterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marketing.

2. imadork profile image70

Macs just seem so trendy to me.  More of a prestige buy.

1. lain profile image60
        lainposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know anyone using a Mac. It must be an American thing.

24. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Always Windows...you can see out of them!

25. sibaja_software profile image61
    sibaja_softwareposted 14 years ago

Yes Linux is better on most counts, but until it can provide a simpler user experience it will not compete with Windows on a mass market.  Take a look at Apple, fast, stable and easy to use, and yet Windows maintains a much larger market share.

Linux will be popular with programmers, graphic artists and other niche groups, but not with grandma.

26. cmstretton profile image60
    cmstrettonposted 14 years ago

I have used windows from 3.1 to windows 7 but you cant beat a good linux distro. I use fedora 11 now on my linux box but vista on my other one (mainly used by the wife).

I am going to be putting links on my sites to decent linux distrobutions feel free to look.

www.cmitsolutions.co.uk

27. cmstretton profile image60
    cmstrettonposted 14 years ago

I have used windows from 3.1 to windows 7 but you cant beat a good linux distro. I use fedora 11 now on my linux box but vista on my other one (mainly used by the wife).

I am going to be putting links on my sites to decent linux distrobutions feel free to look.

www.cmitsolutions.co.uk

28. bkelly99 profile image58
    bkelly99posted 14 years ago

you have got to stick with windows. i mean all the great software out there is for windows. i could never go back to using linux.
    although linux is unique and is great for commanding and doing everything yourself...
    i just dont have time for all that!!

29. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

without a doubt - linux (there is no registry to worry about)

30. mrwerd profile image68
    mrwerdposted 14 years ago

Horses for courses; I'd never recommend Linux to anyone unless they're either keen to learn or an expert on Unix/Linux already.  Windows has more support, more applications and more "out of the box" devices out there.  True, with this also comes more malware and exploits/exposure, but that's the price Microsoft has to pay for mass acceptance.

Anyway, with virtualisation, there's no real reason to stick purely in one camp anymore; get VM Ware and install as many Linux distributions as you want within your XP/Vista machine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)