jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Where/How to learn game programming?

1. icewave5 profile image61
    icewave5posted 7 years ago

I really want to make games myself but don't know where to start.. a little help please?

2. fierycj profile image85
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

You need to learn OpenGL, brother. Its funny, I've got a degree in Computer Science but I've never posted on the technology forum. I'm always in Religion and Entertainment. Well, Just checking in. Now checking out.

3. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

Do you know ANY programming languages at all?

I'm not a game programmer, but there's a lot of things that go into a game. For example...

DOOM3 has an engine, physics, lighting, AI, etc, etc.

There's many part to a game, and many types of programming skills are needed to make a "big" one.

4. 60
    kaleshwarposted 7 years ago

If you don't know any programming language, learn one preferably c/c++. Then look for libraries for said language, then learn how to use those libraries, then learn to use something like blender or 3dmax (for find someone who does) And you have only touched the surface. Its much easier if you have a group of people working together on it.

Its not terribily difficult but it is not easy.

5. thranax profile image58
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Depends on the type of game..you can make a simple little game using Adobe Macromedia Flash for online.

Learning C programing will allow you to make Ps2 Games etc.
    C does a lot of things.

The simplest game you can make is a website game were people choose links that lead to a predetermined page (very very boring..)