jump to last post 1-35 of 35 discussions (58 posts)

Warning to people with Webcams: I can see you!

1. TimTurner profile image79
    TimTurnerposted 6 years ago

I found a message board (not going to mention the site) that has tons and tons of security cams and webcams across the WORLD that you can watch.

The site is run by hackers that can turn on your webcam without you knowing.

There are HUNDREDS of webcams in living rooms, offices and bedrooms on the site and you watch everything from a family watching TV to some intimate stuff in their bedroom.  I was shocked.

There are also countless of security cams in stores, banks, universities and even parking lots (boring) that you can watch.

I have no idea how these hackers do this.

But, again, just a warning to anyone with webcams....there could be thousands of people watching you and you don't even know it.  The hackers even include the city/state/country of the personal cams.  I've even seen a few addresses.

I put a piece of tape over my webcam when I'm not using it  hahaha

That message board creeped me out!!!

1. Friendlyword profile image62
      Friendlywordposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My webcam lights up like a Christmas tree when it is on.  You think they can bypass that? You creeped me out!

1. schapz profile image61
        schapzposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I believe there's no way to bypass this, as it's a hardware function. But please, do correct me if I'm wrong.

2. 60
      JohnStewardtposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey Tim - if you are interested in a legitimate product to prevent webcam hacking - google camJAMR Webcam Covers or go to www.camjamr.com

I love using them. They work just as advertised. Just figured I'd help out!

2. Black Lilly profile image77
    Black Lillyposted 6 years ago

hm.. ok.
    All my laptops have an in-built webcams, though I never use them - should I cover those?

TimTurnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I would.

These hackers are crazy.

2. 60
      JohnStewardtposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Check out camJAMR Webcam Covers. I use them on all of my devices with built-in web cameras. You just stick them over the lens, and remove them when you want to use the camera. They are specially designed for this use, they work great. www.camjamr.com

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I never use a web cam for that purpose.

TimTurnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It doesn't matter what you use your webcam for.  They can turn it on, without you knowing, and watch you do anything.  You can just be sitting there doing paperwork but people could be watching you.

It's crazy.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't use one, it's in my garage sale pile unopened, unused.
        do you use a mac or pc?

4. TimTurner profile image79
    TimTurnerposted 6 years ago

Oh and another thing....the site promotes a company that sells a program that you can record anything on the webcam.

I guess that's their goal is to get you to buy that.

So you can record what's happening on the webcam that you're watching.  In other words, you're most intimate moments could be recorded and traded amongst people because someone, not only watched you, but recorded it.

That site seriously freaked me out.  Put a piece of tape on your webcam whenever you're not using it people!

5. Brian Leighton profile image74
    Brian Leightonposted 6 years ago

If your anti-virus software is configured correctly, then you would not have unmonitered ports left open. By visiting the website, it is possible they had a malware script built in that ran but I seriously doubt if it could activate your webcam...

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yes, and enable your firewall and especially if on a pc remember spyware does not guard against peripherals which would include a separate webcam. you need a super anti-spyware.

if using wireless wabcam or wireless router enable your security key and use highest encryption available.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

that is just crazy, thanks for the information Ms RebekahElle

6. wrenfrost56 profile image84
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

OMG! Creepy! hmm

7. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 6 years ago

it's big brother with a viral twist

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's more like little brother peeping through keyholes that they shouldn't.

If any hackers are bothered accessing my webcam right now they must be infinitely bored.

Or like the sight of a man who has just got out of bed, sitting in a dressing gown, sipping on a coffee, looking unkempt.

1. 0
        Miss Takeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

ugh you look terrible, really terrible......

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
        Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Alright, DS, no need to tease us single ladies with such a visual lol as for guys, the tumble out of bed look can be hot for gals too you know wink lucky you are married, hehehe

1. heckstallmaffei profile image59
          heckstallmaffeiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

8. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Oh no! what if I am doing the five knuckle shuffle and they are watching, when it's on it goes red and when it's not it's green so I may be safe!!lol!

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What's the difference between pink and purple?

9. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

Hey if they wanna see me without makeup on, my hair all over the place, and me looking like crap...they really must be bored.

What losers!

10. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

That (possibly paranoid) thought has occurred to me, which is why I won't connect the little webcam I have (although my PC is in the main part of the house, and all anyone would see is me sitting in front of the screen from one end of the day to the next.  smile

11. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image61
    Dee Dee MonSherieposted 6 years ago

Do you have to be signed up with webcam software for a laptop video cam to be activated remotely?

12. 60
    kdawg001posted 6 years ago

My webcam on my laptop has a blue light that turns on when my webcam is active. Would they (hackers) be able to disable this??

13. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

I'm sorry, I can't really believe this.  I know when my webcam is on, which is rare.

Gosh, they'd be pretty frickin bored looking at this old Grey haired lady in her jamies LOL LOL, if I smile, do you think they can tell I haven't brushed my teeth big_smile big_smile

14. 0
    TMinutposted 6 years ago

Maybe one of them can find Misha for us! :-)

15. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

well, if it puts a tiny thrill into their drab little lives...

(seriously, those people are crazy! isn't peeping tomism a felony?)

16. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Maybe the ladies should add this to the, "How To Find A Good Man!!!" thread.  With this method you may just find one.

1. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image61
      Dee Dee MonSherieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol!  You are so fun!!!

17. Blogging Erika profile image80
    Blogging Erikaposted 6 years ago

I'm a little skeptical of this, honestly.  I think it's more likely that all the video on that site was scraped and pre-recorded, as a tease to get you to buy their software.  Totally fake, in other words.

But it's a great example of why you want to have a firewall set up, AND a router between you and the outside world.  And some good antivirus software as well.

18. sabrebIade profile image86
    sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago

I think I saw them do that on NCIS: LA or one of the hundreds of police shows I watch...LOL

19. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

This just freaked me right out and made me put some clothes on lol

20. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

I think one peek at me in the morning is enough to have them run screaming from their computer. I am not worried.

21. Choke Frantic profile image87
    Choke Franticposted 6 years ago

Oh crud. I've always been paranoid that someone could do that. I recently got over this fear, dismissing the capability of anyone to do this... Now its actually happening! I think I might try the tape idea!

22. 0
    mtsi1098posted 6 years ago

I see you all now - you are all writing in a forum on hubpages wink

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Mine is in a drawer with my undies... not plugged in to my comp... Im glad it's not hooked up or  they might get off on watching me do the dishes!

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image60
        A Driveby Quipperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

1. 0

I do laundry too.

23. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Thankfully I don't own a webcam... and I'm certainly not going to buy one now (shudder)

24. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

I don't own a webcam (yes, I know, antideluvian) but if I did, I'd just unplug it when I wasn't using it.

1. schapz profile image61
      schapzposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not that easy to unplug a webcam stuck inside your laptop I'm afraid sad

25. prospectboy profile image89
    prospectboyposted 3 years ago

This is definitely disturbing news here. I have one webcam that I brought for my computer, and one built into my Netbook. They both light up whenever they're in use, so I assumed that that would let me know if I was being watched. Anyway, I seldom use my webcam on my Netbook, but I think I'm going to start unplugging the one hooked to computer whenever I'm not using it.

26. agvulpes profile image88
    agvulpesposted 3 years ago

So "Person of Interest" is actually a 'documentary' smile
    For laptop users, If you are really worried just cut up a piece of cardboard and bend it over the screen lid of your laptop smile

27. Doctor Kristy profile image79
    Doctor Kristyposted 3 years ago

This story freaked me out enough to put blu-tack over my webcam years ago:

http://boingboing.net/2010/02/17/school … udent.html

28. HoneyBB profile image86
    HoneyBBposted 3 years ago

I have also heard that this happens a while back. The important thing to remember is that Your Webcam does Not have to be on. They can still get in it. Some companies started making laptops with little sliding doors so people can close them denying access to hackers specifically because hackers were doing this to people.  I sometimes put something over mine but sometimes I don't care enough to go look for something to cover it up with.

29. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 3 years ago

I have trained my cat to stand for hours, backwards, with his tail up and...

Stand still with 3 paws on the 'F' key and 1 paw the 'O' key ('F' 'O' 'F' 'F')...

To anyone checking out my webcam... It must look some @SS is looking back at them! smile

I always wonder... which @ss will 'Twitch' First??  lol

30. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago

This is just wrong.
    Thanks for the warning.
    Is it just laptops or is it any computer?

31. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

But wait! There's more...

"Your favorite Android app could be tracking you right now"

http://now.msn.com/android-apps-collect … ation-data

And so it goes...

32. Cheeky Girl profile image84
    Cheeky Girlposted 3 years ago

Most mobile phones can do this. Actually mobile phones are notorious for doing this, and even security software installed on iPhones has helped to catch thieves by sapping their picture and putting them on the web. But for the wise, cover the camera when you don't want to use. Too many pervs out there.

33. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 3 years ago

I heard that if you are about to have a sly five knuckle shuffle, then your webcam activates and records your thoughts too.....I'm thinking that all electrical devices do this, so you should watch out for your Toaster as the toast pops up...it could mean that someone has been watching you crack one out whilst waiting for the Toast to be ready!

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Remind me never to have toast at your house! big_smile

1. bBerean profile image61
        bBereanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've seen breakfasts at Waynet's house through his toaster before, and let me tell you, you'll be missing out.

1. SimeyC profile image87
          SimeyCposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm just not asking for cream in my coffee big_smile

2. 0

Im pretty sure if that's taking place at Waynes house, we wouldn't need a translation for his thoughts.

34. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 2 years ago

Down Here......

I can see a Spammer, all over this thread....

But it's only visible when..

Pssst... Sorry.... I was saying that you can only see the spammer if:

I'm trying to say this quickly.... but you can only see them if

Oh..... No!!!   roll

You use....

ENTER key.....

Phewwww this is really hard!!

While you hold down

Oh No!!  sad

The control key with your nose

AND LOOK towards

The upper left corner of your screen.... (there that's better smile ).... then

OMG  OMG  OMG!!

I can't believe what I'm seeing.... sad

Soooooo that's where my Peanut Butter toastie got to......

Nope.... sorry.... false alarm...

It's that spammer  JohnStewardt  and he's...

having breakfast at Waynet's place!!

Now..... I wonder why he's.....

hang on....

why he's.....

Doing that with is middle finger.... sad

Nope..... he's not at Waynet's place.... he's...

Awwwww Yuk!!! 

OMG..... OMG....  How Gross!!!

How do I get my nose off the keyboard????

OMG this dude is watching ME!!!   sad

And he's....

OMG.... he's got a really small......

you know....

a small.....

camera attached to my computer... 

but I'm pretending to be offline.... Phew, that was def not Waynet!  smile

35. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

Good thing I'm too cheap for a webcam, then, I guess?