jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Another Virus on Facebook

1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

There is another virus on Facebook that you can get through the FB instant messaging.

The last time there was a virus scare on FB, my son got it on his computer & I have that computer up to date.  After a FB session, he suddenly had McAffee on his computer (which is a program I do not use), I can no longer do a defrag or much else on his computer.  As it is my old WinXP computer, its not worth taking in to have it fixed.

But beware, do NOT install facebook applications.  If you get a pop up like McAfee, do NOT click on it, do not click on the x to close it - go into your task manager and close it.

2. thranax profile image60
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

I have never experienced a virus on facebook. I think facebook is 100% safe personally. Myspace has tons of viruses on the other hand. Also, 999 out of 1000 times someone claims they got a virus on facebook, they actually got it from an ad or external link.

3. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

He doesn't use Myspace.  I have a friend who works on computers (lives far away) and said it is from FB and she has seen quite a few.  I do not know computers, but she said something about root directory...its all blah blah blah to me smile  She is going to try and help me fix it over the phone.

I haven't experienced a virus on my computer either, but I also don't play any games or download any of the apps.  I just check it once every few weeks smile

4. Stimp profile image80
    Stimpposted 6 years ago

there is a HUGELY HUGE virus that will destroy your hard drive on FACEBOOK.  You will get a message from one of your friends and the spelling of words and style of writing will be odd.  Like it'll say something like "Your boooooty looooks soooo gooood in this video"  Notice the multiple vowels.  That is a BIG heads up.  DO NOT click on the video...it downloads a virus to your computer.  There are different variations of the verbiage but they all look the same....they duplicate letters in a single word that shouldn't be there.

This is not a rumor.  I've gotten several of these messages...DELETE them immediately from your profile page.  My spouse got one, clicked on and **poof** now we need to take our personal laptop in to get fixed.  McAfee did not detect it.  I'm really disappointed in that software.  I've spend hundreds to have it protect me and it's not done a damn thing for me.

Anyway, FB'ers BEWARE

5. topshelf profile image79
    topshelfposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the info..

6. webllinks profile image61
    webllinksposted 6 years ago

Isn't the facebook virus called koobface?

7. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the info Jane. I used to go on the apps a lot, but lately I have become bored with them. Will be on my guard for this, as it's not the first time one of the apps has sent a virus.

8. 61
    yusemanposted 6 years ago

thanks man were do these virases come from

9. torimari profile image79
    torimariposted 6 years ago

Yea, seriously, thanks for the info. I spend a good time on FB and this is great to know.

10. wrenfrost56 profile image84
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

My friend also got a virus on her computer from facebook a couple of weeks ago. It cost her loads to get it fixed! hmm

11. TINA V profile image80
    TINA Vposted 6 years ago

I also have a facebook account but I have not yet experienced this McAfee virus.  However, this is a good information to share to everybody.  Thank you.