jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

Anyone else being driven insane by the flashing ad?

1. 0
    cathinfranceposted 6 years ago

You know. That flashing ad that says something like: "This is not a joke - you are the 10,000th visitor." I very nearly threw coffee at it this evening. It's the most irritating ad I've seen in my life. It clearly is a joke and a naively dishonest one. Any chance it could be replaced with something less likely to induce an epidemic of computer-screen-smashing? :-)

1. lorlie6 profile image84
      lorlie6posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've gotten it too, cathinfrance, and just scrolled down.

2. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

don't crush the screen cathin don't do it! you won't be able to chat on here and post your hubs. that would be bad! lol and sorry no idea how to get rid of it...wish I knew!

2. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

there's one ad that flashes on my profile. it has a snowman in it. anyway it's cute but it makes my profile freeze up.

3. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

thats the only ad I ever see at Xomba..it truly is one of the most awful looking ads ever

4. waynet profile image48
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Yeah flashing ads should come with a health warning, especially if you're epileptic and the flashing banner can make you have a damn fit, horrible ads get attention for the wrong reasons most times, I certainly wouldn't want to click on it!

1. lorlie6 profile image84
      lorlie6posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I never even thought of that-and I have a seizure disorder!!!

5. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I don't care regardless, I understand why they are there. It really doesn't make that much of a difference on the performance of my computer.

I'm use to it because Pogo.com shows ads to their free players. lol lol

So, it really doesn't bother me. big_smile

6. BEAUTYBABE profile image84
    BEAUTYBABEposted 6 years ago

You are so right Waynet, any flashing lights of any description, can be triggers for seizures and fits for people suffering from epilepsy and other similar disorders. I agree with you that these should come with a health warning to alert someone that it is there so that they have the choice to click on it or not. Then the user avoids any further risk of triggering an attack, because they have been forewarned of the ad. before it has had a chance to affect them. Maybe this could be put forward to mangement at Hubpages. What do you think about this idea? Does any else think that this is something that should be addressed with regard to hubbers who are epileptics? BB

7. 0
    TMinutposted 6 years ago

That's one of the reasons my sister can't use a computer. No cameras flashing for taking pictures either.

8. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

While I find them very annoying, I try hard to ignore them.  I definitely won't click on them.  There is no reason to reward an annoying company... on second thought, maybe we should all click them, and then leave the site.  Maybe they will get the message and GO AWAY!

9. jerryjeng profile image60
    jerryjengposted 6 years ago

Many browsers or browser plug-ins allows you to block flashing advertising. Try Firefox with special plug-in for example.

1. Ivorwen profile image84
      Ivorwenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One more reason to get firefox... hmm

Thanks for letting us know that, and welcome to Hubpages.

10. 0
    shinujohn2008posted 6 years ago

i always block such ads from being showing using adblockers.

11. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

I hate them and today I saw my first pop up on hubpages too. I was shocked!