jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Intel Core i7 versus Intel Core 2 Quad -- What's the difference?

1. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Can someone explain the difference in layman terms? I'm looking at an HP dv7 with an Intel Core i7 or an HP HDX with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor.  I'm in a profession that provides high end media presentation using AutoCad, and speed is a must as well as graphic quality (and yes, both use NVIDIA).  Thanks!

2. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

I dont have a flipping clue....but thanks for posting this, I hope somebody answers as Im in the market for a new computer.

3. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

The processing speed of both chip sets are nearly equal however, the i7 requires DDR3 memory which is about 20% to 25% more than the DDR2 that most core 2 quads.  Also the i7 costs more. Either one will do well with auto cad, but if you can afford the i7 I would go that way with a dual graphics card and you might get 6 years use instead of 4 going the other route.

4. Beth100 profile image83

Thanks Richard!!!!  I didn't realize that about the DDR memories.  I currently have a HP dv7 with a core 2 duo and it runs okay with AutoCad. 

What I don't understand is why does the core 2 quad cost more than the i7 if the i7 is newer technology with better threading? 

Again, thank you Richard for the explanation.  smile

5. Beth100 profile image83

@ Justine -- lol  Just keep in mind what the purpose of your machine will be for.  For me, it's for high end media so graphics and speed are everything for me.  smile