jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Intel Core i7 versus Intel Core 2 Quad -- What's the difference?

1. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 7 years ago

Can someone explain the difference in layman terms? I'm looking at an HP dv7 with an Intel Core i7 or an HP HDX with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor.  I'm in a profession that provides high end media presentation using AutoCad, and speed is a must as well as graphic quality (and yes, both use NVIDIA).  Thanks!

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

I dont have a flipping clue....but thanks for posting this, I hope somebody answers as Im in the market for a new computer.

3. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

The processing speed of both chip sets are nearly equal however, the i7 requires DDR3 memory which is about 20% to 25% more than the DDR2 that most core 2 quads.  Also the i7 costs more. Either one will do well with auto cad, but if you can afford the i7 I would go that way with a dual graphics card and you might get 6 years use instead of 4 going the other route.

4. Beth100 profile image83

Thanks Richard!!!!  I didn't realize that about the DDR memories.  I currently have a HP dv7 with a core 2 duo and it runs okay with AutoCad. 

What I don't understand is why does the core 2 quad cost more than the i7 if the i7 is newer technology with better threading? 

Again, thank you Richard for the explanation.  smile

5. Beth100 profile image83

@ Justine -- lol  Just keep in mind what the purpose of your machine will be for.  For me, it's for high end media so graphics and speed are everything for me.  smile

working