jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Should we find a new email becoz Google Buzz and Yahoo updates

1. free4india profile image59
    free4indiaposted 7 years ago

Google's and Yahoo innovations seem to be make me worried.  Earlier I was just worried that they knew too much and now I feel they are even sharing it with the general public.  Instead of opt-ins I am finding more and more opt outs, which makes me wonder if I do not keep myself up to date with the technological innovations of these companies, some nerd somewhere is gonna spam me or clear off my bank account or some agent might just make me disappear to eat off my money.

Now do you think we should change our email service provider to someone who does not know that much or shares less or is less innovative ?  Which simple email service provider can I trust ?

2. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

Disable gmail buzz and yahoo updates it is distracting.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i concur!

p.s. anything with the word 'buzz' in it already sounded like it might become an annoyance wink

3. Has_aWayWithWords profile image81
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 7 years ago

remember when spam first came along and everyone freaked and the world became anti spam? well Google and Yahoo have essentially used their web presence to create a new spam. Both of these say that spam is bad and they don't allow it etc etc etc etc blah blah blah.  These 2 are taking information from users and using it for their benefit and flooding us with ads and junk. Google will eventually hit the same wall Microsoft hit years ago. Yahoo has already hit the wall and AOL is almost non existant

1. skyfire profile image71
      skyfireposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Spot on.

My only concern with web services is why make money on privacy of someone ?

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image81
        Has_aWayWithWordsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

exactly, I have no issue with ads, my issue is for example.. I get an email from a friend and he says my wife
        s ass is getting fat and I want a divorce, suddenly I have ads for divorce lawyers and weight loss clinics. Now isn't spam unsolicited advertisements? How did I request those ads because I got an email?

1. skyfire profile image71
          skyfireposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes i agree, this is the reason why i don't like facebook URL's & their public unrestricted search, also Google opensocial and similar social services that make money from personal information.

2. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I always thought an email was a private as a postcard so it looks like that's true.
          Maybe no-one actually reads your emails, but they could have bots that scan them and take the revelant info out for ad purposes.

4. Has_aWayWithWords profile image81
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 7 years ago

Well there is relief for those who use Google but you have to use Windows Mail or Outlook express. This eliminates the webmail aspect of Gmail and they can't send you ads into these types of email programs. The only downside is you still have no way of keeping everything private because Google, like any other email service provider still pulls some info from emails and can access your contacts and such.

5. Bill Manning profile image72
    Bill Manningposted 7 years ago

I only use my own domain website emails, so it's always private. smile

1. WriteAngled profile image90
      WriteAngledposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I get loads of spam on my domain email. I don't find Gmail ads over intrusive. In fact, sometimes I get such bizarre ones, it amuses me to click on the links smile

working