jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

How can you tell if you have a Keylogger program on your computer?

1. H.C Porter profile image84
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

Does anyone know how you can check to see if you have a key logger program on your computer? And if you do, how to disable and remove it?

1. kikolani profile image73
      kikolaniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Try out Spybot S&D.  It's a free spyware checker that usually catches keyloggers.  If you can find the process / program name, just Google it and check out the instructions - there are usually secret ways of bringing it up, like a certain CTRL + ALT + some other key.

1. earnestshub profile image88
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree, I use Spybot and AVG free. smile Spybot runs resident, and can pick em up on the way in.

2. EchiKC182 profile image60
      EchiKC182posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, this software is free, can look for spyware and block spyware automatically on your pc, which typically uses a spyware keylogger program to record all activity on your pc. Please visit my hub is available here Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware http://hubpages.com/hub/Free-Computer-Software

3. smelloftruth profile image59
      smelloftruthposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The most sophisticated way is to have a network snipper attached to your network.

Type in some characters in your browser like fake login info and check the network data if the information are get sent.

2. AllanWrites profile image59
    AllanWritesposted 6 years ago

Well alot of them are designed to be undetectable

But first thing you should do is Ctrl-Alt-Del and check your running processes then google any unfamiliar ones

Then check if anything has been installed recently

Has someone been on your computer recently?

Also, if you have a decent internet security suite, you should be able to detect any that were installed in an unauthorized manner

3. dotslash profile image80
    dotslashposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately there's no single method.   But as suggested a decent security suite should detect most key loggers and the viruses that delivered them.

You won't be able to detect them manually yourself, so get a decent security suite, you can get fully functioning trials of most of the mainstream ones - to check your computer out first.  Personally I prefer Kaspersky, but any of them should be ok.  You can also use virtual keyboards in most of these programs which allow you to type without using the keyboard which bypasses keyloggers.

4. vanquisher profile image60
    vanquisherposted 6 years ago

Scan ur computer with good antivirus it will solve ur problem
    i recommended to use kaspersky if ur RAM is above 1GB

5. Hejanny profile image60
    Hejannyposted 6 years ago

It is the very my problem! I know it is certain to keep away from keyloggers, but my families bought and installed this keylogger software in the home Mac, they call it parental control. Is it a kind of virus, and how to get rid of it?

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Go to snapfiles .com They have a free tool that will find it and remove it. smile

6. 60
    Samuel01posted 6 years ago

As for me i prefer use ProteMac  KeyBag ,it's keylogger recorder all for your mac computer.It's really good prog.

7. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago

Firefox also has an addon called keyscrambler which can can foil keyloggers - but it won't uninstall them. 

Best advice is to do ctrl alt del, click on the processes tab, then google each process.  Also run spybot S+D, AVG, and Windows Defender.

8. Writer David profile image79
    Writer Davidposted 6 years ago

This won't get rid of the keyloggers you may or may not have.  But, if you use Firefox, there is an addon called "keyscrambler Personal" that scrambles your keystrokes.  If you use Firefox, I highly recommend it. http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3383/

9. climberjames profile image60
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

I found the best lite software to check and fix this type of problem is:

SpyBot - Search & Destroy

Google it big_smile

1. 60
      Samuel01posted 6 years ago in reply to this

ho try use ActyMac  DutyWatch.actymac. com/
      It’s prog can record all keystrokes.

10. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

You suddenly no longer have a job!

11. ArdanMichaelBlum profile image60
    ArdanMichaelBlumposted 5 years ago

There is no ONE WAY to protect against such threats. As with anything to do with IT security it is a combination of things that work.

The first step though should be to set your firewall (F-Secure is the best, the second best is Trend Micro Internet Security) to allow OUTBOUND port 80, 443, 21 (if you use passive FTP) and 53 for your DNS. Then BLOCK all inbound connections. Next BLOCK all other ports - especially high TCP outbound connections. If a program requires an inbound port or another outbound port you will get a pop-up prompt.

You may want to check out Anonymizer.com which has a product out called Universal that works on iphones, macs, etc and does something really cool - it makes a secure tunnel for ALL your ports.

Now the next step is to scan for rootkits and spyware. And re-scan. And extend your security in other directions, ...... You may find that it takes effort and time; as the saying goes: "Those who survive the best in war are the paranoid".

Someone proposed to you a solution on this page by saying: " ...You can also use virtual keyboards in most of these programs which allow you to type without using the keyboard which bypasses keyloggers. " - This is simply not correct !!! You would have to use a constantly changing virtual keyboard (like the one on cryptoheavenDOTcom email system).