jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

SEO For Dummies

1. samboiam profile image60
    samboiamposted 7 years ago

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am not the dullest either. I have read several articles on SEO but for the life of me I just do not understand. Is there a SEO for dummies? I need help.

1. Faybe Bay profile image84
      Faybe Bayposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think I saw a hub like that.. I will be back.

1. Faybe Bay profile image84
        Faybe Bayposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes here is an older one, but I know there's a newer one which I will find. Funny this one was written by Fayans... And I am Faybe.  Don't know the hubber.
        http://hubpages.com/hub/SEO-for-dummies

1. samboiam profile image60
          samboiamposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Faybe I will go check it out.

2. shazwellyn profile image81
          shazwellynposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wow Faybe... what a resource you are!!! hehehe Well done! x

2. sereyboth profile image60
      sereybothposted 7 years ago in reply to this

hey samboiam! I just write two hubs about SEO I hope you may love it. You can read here
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-7-SEO-techn … r-beginner
      and
      http://hubpages.com/hub/What-not-to-do- … timization

2. thisisoli profile image57
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

There are plenty of Hubs and websites out there guiding you through SEO. I think one of the greatest things you need to work on is creating large amounts of quality content around specific key words.  If you manage that much then you can worry about the rest of the SEO world.

3. samboiam profile image60
    samboiamposted 7 years ago

Here is the other thing I am not clear on. How do I determine what the key words are?

1. livewithrichard profile image84
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL that's a good question and really depends on what your reasons are for being here. Once you determine your reason for wanting to write here on HP then its easy to decipher the types of hubs you want to write (info, product, short story, poetry, etc.) Each has its own set of rules for determining the correct keywords. If you want a quick primer on finding keywords then check out my hub "Keywords - A Long Tail Keyword Tutorial" this should set you in the right direction.

4. MikeNV profile image71
    MikeNVposted 7 years ago

SEO in it's simplistic form is this:

Making your website friendly to the search engine bots that crawl it so that you will rank higher.

1.  On site factors:  The keywords you choose and the content you create.  Your titles and headings. Using "alt" tags to label graphics. Etc. et al.

2.  Off site factors:

a.  Incoming links
    b.  Everything else... how "old" your domain is... how long people stay on your site when visiting, what pages users view... the sites they were on before they came to your site, the sites they go to when they leave your site.

SEO is speculation based on trying to get the best results by working to "Optimize" a combination of the above.

And then of course there is the "competition" all trying to outsmart the other guy to rank higher.

working