jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

HD TV lamp needs replacing.. ughhhhhh! $$$

1. Three-Legged Dog profile image79
    Three-Legged Dogposted 6 years ago

So... when our lamp went out a couple years ago, the tv was still under warranty, JVC sent us the replacement lamp kit, hubby changed the lamp, no big deal. 

Now that we're out of warranty, the replacement lamp for our TV (on JVC.com) is $199!  (Before tax, shipping, whatever!)

The website electrified.com sells "equivalent" lamps, which are not the factory model, but are manufactured the same way, for $89.

Obviously I would rather get the cheaper model, but has anybody replaced lamps on their own?  What did you do?  hmm

1. west40 profile image61
      west40posted 6 years ago in reply to this

We use to see projection televisions and the bulbs are expensive.  As long a you have the exact model of the original JVC set, the OEM should be fine. 

Are you sure it is the bulb?  We just had a new customer last week who had a problem with her Projection HDTV and she thought the bulb had gone - it wasn't the case it was the transformer, a $400 part - she ended up just buying a new television.

2. 0
      mtsi1098posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have never replaced the lamp but it sounds like a new tv could be a cheaper alternative (depending on how it compares to the existing)

3. 60
      kbwilcoxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a Panasonic DLP that uses a bulb that is also a bit pricey.  I have been extremely lucky with the bulb I am still using since 2005.  When I last checked it had 12K hours logged.  Panasonic uses Osram bulbs so if you can get Osram they make a very good bulb.   

In the panasonic it is extremely easy to change the bulb out.  Actually, there are really two options.
      1.  replace bulb with housing (always more expensive part this way)
      2.  replace just the bulb, using your existing housing.

I have only replaced the bulb with housing, and it plugs in like a cartridge, it is extremely easy and very intuitive when you take out the old housing and bulb.  There are detailed instructions in the user manual, online, and in the box with the new bulb and housing.  JVC should be very similar.