jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

The Year 2008 (predicted 40 years ago) - this is a laugh

1. stephhicks68 profile image84
    stephhicks68posted 8 years ago

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/03/ … amp;Qis=XL

Predictions made in November 1968....FYI in Modern Mechanix

2. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 8 years ago

We came to Canada Aug 69...I was 15 then and sad to say I remember most of what they're talking about. I did have a good laugh so thanks Steph

3. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Sounds like Mr Berry had OD'ed on Alvin Toffler's book, "Future Shock" - it's all from there, pretty much.

4. robie2 profile image92
    robie2posted 8 years ago

This was fun--what happened to the 4 hour work day and the robots to do the housework? Thanks for this link--I'm sharing it smile

1. CherylTheWriter profile image61
      CherylTheWriterposted 8 years ago in reply to this

They went the way of the paperless office and 5.25" diskettes.

5. WeddingConsultant profile image81
    WeddingConsultantposted 8 years ago

I like the idea of earning $20 an hour constructing mini-dozers!  $20 an hour was a LOT back then.  I just wonder where that idea of mini-dozers went...

Oh and 100% plastic roads?  Someone's imagination went wild with that one!

1. robie2 profile image92
      robie2posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Plastic roads and domed cities LOL

6. charlemont profile image84
    charlemontposted 8 years ago

I remember self-moving sidewalks mentioned in several science fiction books smile

7. Earl S. Wynn profile image83
    Earl S. Wynnposted 8 years ago

Haha, this was alot of fun to read. I thought it was interesting-- they predicted the population of the US would be up to 350 Million, which is only about half a million short (Not a bad guess, considering, haha). Really makes you wonder what people forty years from now will think when they look back on the predictive science articles people are writing today!

Thanks for the link, stephhicks68!

8. Angela Harris profile image75
    Angela Harrisposted 8 years ago

Fun read, thanks.

9. Sibaire profile image59
    Sibaireposted 8 years ago

Interesting, I find it funny about the no money idea and the idea that the computer will run everything. I guess some of these computer based ideas have come to fruition in the form of the internet, which allows you to pay rates, shop, pay bills and the like.

10. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 8 years ago

that was hilarious.  Safely transporting people at 250mph in built up areas...oh and plastic roads?!