jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Upgrading to Windows XP

1. yadvendra profile image60
    yadvendraposted 6 years ago

You can upgrade a computer that runs Windows 98, 98SE, or Me to Windows XP Home Edition. Those same versions, along with Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows 2000 Professional, can be upgraded to Windows XP Professional.

(1).To ensure a smooth upgrade and avoid networking problems, follow these tips before starting the upgrade:

(2)Install all network cards. XP will detect them and automatically install the right drivers.

(3)Have your Internet connection available. The XP setup process will connect to a Microsoft server to download the latest setup files, including changes that have been made since XP was released.

Some programs are incompatible with XP and can cause networking problems. Un-install these programs. After the upgrade is complete and the network is working, re-install XP-compatible versions of these programs: Internet Connection Sharing, NAT, Proxy Server Anti-Virus Firewall.

1. Padrino profile image59
      Padrinoposted 6 years ago

You might be a couple of operating systems behind.

1. mythbuster profile image85
        mythbusterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've heard that a lot of people from countries not considered wealthy are using older donated machines, a lot of old software, etc.

Where I'm from a lot of low-income individuals are using win98, XP and stuff definitely from before Vista as their first computers and software because they cannot afford big, shiny, new machines and brand new software.

1. earnestshub profile image87
          earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The problem with upgrades is often the hardware. I retire my computers by giving them to charity. I install whichever operating system the hardware can deal with. I used to use win 95 sp2 with the internet pack for years when it was supported because of its small size and lower reliance on memory. I now use XP for such tasks, because it is the last supported version. It still uses too much space though.

The problem with newer operating systems is the lazy way it is written.
          The idea seems to be write more crap code, it doesn't matter the computer has enough space for it!

1. mythbuster profile image85
            mythbusterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've heard bits and details elsewhere - about your last points before, earnestshub - about the software using up tons of space just 'cos hardware nowadays can facilitate extra but needless code. Thanks for confirming 'cos I'm not too computer savvy. (Thought maybe the computer sales guy just wanted me to buy more stuff lol).

I have been thinking about getting away from windows and switching to a linux distro. Apparently linux software is often really tidy and takes up little space. Have you worked/used linux much, earnestshub?

I've got ubuntu installed - dual boot 2OS on my system but haven't been diligent about booting in linux 'cos it's a pretty new thing for me.

PLUS........ TONS of games on the linux install disk...man if I start checkin' those out, I'll never get any writing done lol

2. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Padrino, maybe - but upgrading to XP can still come in handy.  One of my sons needed a computer because his was gone, so his father upgraded one his spares for our son.  It did the job for him (still does at times) until he got a new laptop.  smile  This was when Vista was brand new, and word was out that upgrading to Vista could be a problem.  My son's software-designer/engineer father is still using his own with XP.

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL Yeah, Vista was brand new then - and now Windows 7 is not exactly new already - so looks like Padrino is right on the money smile

3. khmohsin profile image60
      khmohsinposted 6 years ago

I really appreciate your effort in writing the steps, but I think upgrading to XP is really out-dated.
      I also use XP on one of my PCs but I will prefer a fresh install instead, because upgrades often make systems heavy and slow.

4. 0
      mtsi1098posted 6 years ago

I have not seen a Win XP upgrade in a while...I have seen many Vista downgrades to Win XP though smile

5. Dense profile image66
      Denseposted 6 years ago

I held off upgrading my main OS to XP until 2007.
      And at the moment, I am still on XP coz I really hate that ever growing WinSXS folder (in Vista and Win7).