Dell Computer--Again---I am starting to hate My Dell!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

11 days...2 new keyboards, new hard drive (2nd in a year), LCD replaced last year, Vista crashed and new hard drive came with Vista and using new Vista until full install of Win 7 arrives.....tonight...part of keyboard stops working again!!!!!

Spent last 3 hours on phone with Dell (India again) about computer. "AGAIN"

This has become a daily occurence the past 11 days.

Dell tech suggest a computer replacement with a refurbished computer!

I don't think so!!!!!   If anything like cell phones you are far worse off and then your warranty is down the drain and you get screwed!

Once again a tech will come to the house this week and THIS TIME...MotherBoard will be replaced.

Gee...I thought Dell was supposed to be a Quality Brand Computer.

When all is done...I will have to write a HUB about my experience with Dell, their customer service and their quality of computer.  Task, tsk...will not be a very good review I can say now. May even give a report to BBB.(Better Business Bureau)

If you sell low quality products you should sell them at a Cheap price!

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

Dell a quality brand? LOL.

Dell's are only better then eMachines.

Get a sony im on year 5 or 6 now. No upgrades running xp.

~thranax~

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am starting to regret the Dell. I liked XP. Wish I had XP again...better yet...Windows 98 SE

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True Michael 98 was lightweight and used a tiny amount of resources. XP was quite reliable if a bit hungrier on resources.

Many brand name computers have all sorts of lockouts built in to the bios that prevent us from changing components without changing settings on the motherboard with dip switches etc.

I only buy Toshiba in laptops, and definitely no brand names in desktops. Never get a problem I can't solve that way. smile

I am just sick about the investment in this computer and now with all the problems with it.  You wouldn't believe how slow it is running even now. I am having to even use IE since Firefox will not run with my Operating System anymore. My antivirus will not download or install...even my internet provider takes several times to get online and then I am booted consistently...part of the motherboard issue I was told.

3. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

Ya join the club. I will never buy a dell again.  They are cheap pieces of crap.  All the components are cheapest they can find.  Ram is cheap.  Just do a searc on google for dell computer review.  I wish I did before I bought mine.  BBB dont even bother.  They are like D- rating already.

I have never had a computer last 3 years before. Normally they quit after 2 years. (normal warranty)  I wish I had known about the Dell issues before I bought this one.

4. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

I don't like to endorse a company solely on such little experience, but I do know Sony's are pro. Even this old 2 gb ram 3.40 ghz Pentium 4 processor computer is still kicking. With the same original keyboard and mouse!

~thranax~

5. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 13 years ago

This is really disturbing! I have recently purchased a dell inspiron notebook. I thought dell product is the best!

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, second to worse. IMO my friend has an eMachines he got for $200 that worked better and longer then a $800 dell!

~thranax~

2. Michael Willis profile image67

Mine is a Dell Inspiron! 1520

@Michael and Cupid

You get what you pay for. This sony desktop with keyboard, mouse, and monitor was about $1200. With computers you get what you pay for. Hell, even with usb flash drives if you get a Sandisk or PNY they will last a lot longer then some unheard of company. Even they break too believe it or not.

~thranax~

LOL< My is a laptop and I paid $1700 for mine! (With extras)

Well up here in Massachusetts we have a saying for that;

RIP OFF!

Pays to listen to customer feedback before buying. All them extras you put in were 2.5x the normal unscaled price.

~thranax~

Ouch...I have learned that lesson the hard way!  Definitely will not buy another Dell!

2. cupid51 profile image68
          cupid51posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks  thranax for the information. I have a compaq desktop that is working fine for 3 years. This notebook I have recently purchased.

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I worked for a major competitor to geek squad, as part of our interview/assessment of the problem before sending a tech we had a basic survey.

The #1 computer brand that required service calls? You guessed it, Dell.

the stats are off  because its such a popular brand but it still consistently ranked the highest in our problem brands.

The least service calls? Lenova (ex-IBM) -

*******the stats were modified to exclude user errors and virus removals.

Oh my...I wish I had known that!!!!! The only worse computer I have had than my Dell...was a compaq presario by HP. Their customer service really sucked and I could not get them to fulfill their warranty. I had to call a lawyer after 3 motherboards in 6 months and no computer working and finally trashed it and then...well, you know,,,the Dell.

Sony's the way to go man, like I said never had a problem. Toshiba's are so-so I have a laptop its not great but thats mostly due to Vista.

~thranax~

7. CaseyB35 profile image61
    CaseyB35posted 13 years ago

I can't complain about my Dell Zino HD. Only issue I had that I forgot that this one came with vista which I don't like that much at all,specially when I play some online games and it searches for a better wireless connection about every 60 secs. So I decided to mess around with the hard drive to read xp and installed it on it and downloaded the xp drivers for it and now I love it much, since I can turn off the zero net config, or whatever its called on xp.

Well, there's got to be one or two good Dell's floating around. I don't like gambling on it though.

~thranax~

1. CaseyB35 profile image61
        CaseyB35posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, gambling on computers is never a fun thing to do.

8. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I will definitely do more research before I buy my next computer.
    I am off for the night. Early day tomorrow. Thanks for the comments.

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Wow.  I'm glad to see this thread.  Just last night I was looking at Dells (and a bunch of others) because I've decided I need a mini.  So you folks have stopped me from making a mistake, apparently, although I'm leaning toward the HP (unless I hear otherwise).  (Thanks  smile  )

My PC is an HP with Vista, and I absolutely love it (knock on wood).  I have, however, gone through three keyboards in less than two years, with the Microsoft keyboard someone gave me at Christmas starting to lose its letters (too).  The first keyboard broke, though.  It was covered under the warranty and replaced with one that had keys that last about four months.  (I know if I were faster with some kind of coating or cover for the keys/keyboards I could prevent this - but I don't think I should have to worry about letters falling off.  The letters on old typewriters didn't fall off (or at least not in - like - 20 years).  mad

10. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

Go Mac. Seriously. Never slows down, viruses are nonexistent and intuitive UI.

I was going to suggest a Mac but  I can't pull myself to saying that, I hate the things.

~thranax~

11. Ign Andy profile image56
    Ign Andyposted 13 years ago

If you look for durability I suggest Lenovo thinkpad series not the ideapad, but quite pricey.
    For budget laptop I will suggest Asus, they also have great gaming laptops. Not a usual brand I guest, but among gamers Asus is very recommended.

12. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Skip the cheap stuff... look at the optiplex... business class computers.  All computers can break, but I've had good luck with their business class machines as opposed to the consumer machines.

Dell doesn't really make computers.  Most computers are just assembled in the Far East from as many as 25 different companies based on what you order.

13. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

I can't resist

Get a Mac big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)