Has anyone tried hubbing with an iPad yet?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. SummerSteward profile image60
    SummerStewardposted 13 years ago

if so.. how the heck did you do it?

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'd like to know that.  I can't edit any of my hubs,   No problem leaving comments or here on the forums, but I'd love to be able to create and edit my hubs!

Somebody below mentioned different interfaces?  I didn't notice that option; I will go look again.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The iPad is really more for consuming rather than creating IMHO.  Its web interface is very like the iPhone.

Sure, for some.  But some of us use it for much more.  This morning I visited a customer to discuss a cgi script they need on their web server.  As I had similar scripts already, I sshed to my server, scp'd it to theirs, edited it and left with it working and a check in my pocket.

IPads are NOT just for amusement.  Some of us are using them for real work.

2. SummerSteward profile image60

*bump*

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I've got one, and I'm in the process of putting together a feedback/report email for admin about what works and what doesn't.  The mobile and classic interfaces have different usability issues.

For being on the road, I can do anything I'd need to do via my iPad.  Hopefully my input will help admin make it so I can do anything I'd want to do.

Can you explain where you choose classic/mobile?  I am not seeing that choice.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

They go on sale in Canada at the end of this month, I'm still thinking of it.

5. Super Chef profile image60
    Super Chefposted 13 years ago

As I am fairly new to this game and havent aquired enough desirable income yet. Apple if your watching I accept donations amiccably!!! smile

6. SummerSteward profile image60

I decided today that I am returning it. It's basically a glorified iPhone, and I already have one of those. It's not designed for blogging or hubing and anything that I imagined it to be. On the phone they recommended I download the "blogging" apps... I can't imagine having to pay for a service that's free to me already! Shame on me for not doing my research! Thankfully they are letting me return it without having to pay the restocking fee. I am going to turn around and purchase a macbook, and get rid of my iphone as well.
    The palm piolet will allow me to connect to wifi free and use my phone as a router at the same price I am paying for my iphone, cheaper actually.

I am planning on bumming the country for a couple of years and was really hoping the 3G would be my solution to a constant source of internet.. not so, as AT&T's coverage is seriously lacking.

I am quite disappointed actually- If macs weren't so good at avoiding viruses I would boycott apple period.

Thanks for your feedback everyone... the bottom line is that the iPad is ideal for a casual internet browser, I assumed that the apps apple came out with like ABC and Netflix would allow me to use them, but if there is no WIFI the remains useless. Big bummer.

If my iPad allowed me to hub, I would do one now on it's lacking, but then of course.. perhaps I wouldn't be returning it.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You sound like you didn't do any research into what you were buying.  It's not a glorified iPhone, as it's not a phone at all.  I'm by no means just a casual Internet user, and I'm finding the iPad extremely useful.  And if WiFi wasn't going to cut it for you, and you don't like AT&T's 3G coverage (which you are using for your own iPhone presently), how did you imagine you'd connect it to the Internet?  Uplifting wishes?

1. SummerSteward profile image60
        SummerStewardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my defense I did say I didn't do my research.smile  I did subscribe to the 3G network, however it doesn't support many of my applications. I was looking for it as an alternative to paying for a wireless provider. I'm not saying I don't think its pretty nifty, it is, just tha I am disappointed with what I am finding it incapable of..

7. Csjun89 profile image59
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

For the topic starter, I personally type it out on the free Note app that comes with the iPad, and then email it from within the application to myself, and then log in to hubpages to paste it in. Its slightly more work if I wish to add widgets and pictures, but words and content are usually the bulk of my hubs anyway. I've not yet tried using the client direct on though, but I have to say so far for non-flash sites the iPad is excellent

1. climberjames profile image57
      climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I do pretty much the same with my iPhone, type it up, email to myself and publish via my laptop smile

1. Csjun89 profile image59
        Csjun89posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha yeah its pretty sweet!

2. Pcunix profile image91

Are you saying you paste using the iPad?  I have been unable to do any editing - I must be missing something obvious.

1. Csjun89 profile image59

It's not that great for editing unless you purchase iWork, it is good at starting from scratch.
        Since its so portable around to carry with you everywhere it makes it easier to start on the first few hundred words of your writing.

If you're wondering about the paste function, you can press the text with your finger, -> select all -> copy  and go to somewhere and paste it by pressing the box with your finger.

Personally I use Note and it has a 1 button send by email at the bottom of the screen, you could try it and see how it goes!

:-)

I know how to copy and paste.  What I'm trying to explain is that nothing works IN THE CAPSULES.

I can paste anything here or in comments.  I just can't edit capsules.

By the way, I use SimpleNote for editing.  I write most if my hubs with that, email them to myself, pick up the email on my Mac and create/edit the hub there.

Can you edit capsules with your iPad?  If you can, I must be doing something differently and I would love to know what!

8. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Summer Steward has it down!

Why would one use a closed source proprietary technology without a dedicated physical keyboard or proper expansion options?

For the same price one could get a high quality netbook and/or a tetherable cell phone or air card. The physical footprint is about the same and the expanded options are immeasurable.

The iPad is a gadget not a tool for a power user or a mobile office.

The only plus is that amazing battery! but extra batteries and/or external mobile recharge options are often less expensive then the total price of an iPad.

No, that's not the only plus.  It's not the same footprint - it's thinner, lighter, and it doesn't get hot.  There's no hinged display, so it is much smaller in actual use.

Once you get used to it, fingers are much better than a mouse for many tasks.

And then there is the battery life.  I usually don't even bother to bring the charger unless I'll be gone a long, long time.

If it isn't your bag, that's fine.  For me, it fits.

2. Csjun89 profile image59

Ah, that was what one once thought too!

But once you have it in your hands it really is a different story.
      Maybe you could borrow one and try it out for a few days? Or purchase it and return it if you are dissatisfied

9. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

I tried but HubPages wouldn't load.

I was able to work on my Squidoo lenses on it though.

10. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

Apple doesn't make a netbook, if they did I'd get it.

The iPad was a pretty amazing tool on my recent trip to Arizona. We didn't have any set plans and used it for everything. It was on my lap in the car the whole time. It told us where we were, gave us directions to get to where we wanted to be, told us how long that would take, found hotels, restaurants, we could read reviews, email, find phone numbers, addresses, points of interest.

Yeah, we just made a trip to VA.  We used it for all that AND I was able to do remote access work for a customer while my wife drove!

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

the iPad is not a replacement for a personal computer. it has its own purpose and functionality. also i don't understand the 'proprietary this' and proprietary that'  and 'Apple monopoly' comments i have been reading in the forums and on hubs - Microsoft has enjoyed a huge monopoly for years on essentially every computer made.

the iPad is a great device and i really think if people used one they would love it too.

p.s. Apple Computer's ideabank geniuses are the ones who first made the computer personal, for all of Microsoft's co-opting of those ideas, IMHO.

thanks.

12. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

At the moment your better off using an a Macbook to blog anything

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)