jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Recommended Web Hosting Package

1. borge_009 profile image62
    borge_009posted 6 years ago

Guys, I just want to ask how much or what is the recommended webspace and bandwidth allocation for an online forum site?  How much space do i need for these kind of sites.

1. 0
      Tom Maitlandposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It all depends on the traffic of your website, IE how many visits you get.

You can find a whole bunch of hosting plans around now which give you very generous resources, but be careful of the cheap hosts with unlimited everything. You want fast hosting, so look for a reputable company.

The other thing to keep in mind is your processing power - forums require a lot of power to run, so again that needs to be factored in.

In terms of numbers: space - 10GB will realistically be more than ample for a start, bandwidth - 50GB - also plenty. You can then upgrade as your site becomes more popular.

1. borge_009 profile image62
        borge_009posted 6 years ago in reply to this

So 10G of webspace is enough for a starting plan?  Thanks

1. 0
          Tom Maitlandposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, realistically 10GB is plenty until you start getting lots of users posting lots of data and storing lots of images. The actual site in itself should be around 200MB max, and so you just need room for content on top of that.

Once you see your user growth, you can monitor your space usage too and upgrade it.

All that said, can I just recommend (mt)MediaTemple - I use them for my sites, means you can have a few sites on the same account, and that (gs) account will be all you'll ever need until your site gets huge. (http://www.mediatemple.net/go/order/)

Just a suggestion, be sure to do your research too.

2. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Forums are text based... as long as you don't let your users upload images and take up very little actual bandwidth or storage space.  You have got to become pretty popular and visited before you use any real bandwidth.

I've run PHPBB forums and never had any problem with any basic hosting plans.

I'd recommend if you have a real business plan and a lot of faith in your project to select a shared plan that allows you to upgrade to a dedicated server when and if the time ever comes.

3. Ign Andy profile image60
    Ign Andyposted 6 years ago

Start from something small, I agree 10G is plenty but I suggest buy from Web hosting with who offer multiple plan for future upgrade.