jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Privacy in Facebook, is it really that concerning?

1. 0
    Tom Maitlandposted 6 years ago

So here's the deal, there's this huge tantrum being put on by privacy advocates against facebook to the degree that there's this 'Facebook Exodus' where people are pledging to leave facebook on May 31. (http://www.quitfacebookday.com/)

So I was thinking, when you signed up to Facebook, was privacy your networking your main incentive? Do people really sign up in the mind set that Facebook is a private website? What do you think?

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Some people simply overlook the obvious. It's a social networking site and whatever information one chooses to share is display and controlled by each person. The level of privacy is in control of the user.

I say that do not have a leg to stand on. If privacy was wanted, then why be online at all? hmm

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

The problem I'm understanding, in regard to Facebook, isn't so much the idea of the privacy of a social networking site versus a private website of users.  The problem comes down to Facebook 'sharing' demographics of users.  So, every time I login to Facebook, the cookies enabled by my browser will inform Facebook of my online activities and then Facebook 'shares' this information with others. 

The biggest problem for me is, Facebook is about to profit from willfully beginning the Big Brother movement which nobody wants to see exist.

4. tgallagher profile image60
    tgallagherposted 6 years ago

Most all commercial websites place a cookie on your system they have been doing this for years. If you are concerned about your privacy don't post it online. It amazes me that people are making such a big deal about this. It is a social network, if you don't want to be social then don't sign up. The second part is people are complaining that Facebook will profit from their info, my question is then how do they expect Facebook to make money to pay the developers and run the servers needed to support the network these people have no problem using (for free). Simply amazing...

It really is just a basic use of common sense, if you don't want any chance of it being shared, then don't put it online. wink Anything you do online can be tracked in some way shape or form, it is that simple...

Facebook, Google and other sites use users search habits to help them write a better search algorithm, so the users can get back things that pertain to their likes. I would be willing to bet a lot of the people complaining also complain that a search engine returns results they don't want...

1. NathanSyckel profile image60
      NathanSyckelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Facebook, Google and other sites use users search habits to help them write a better search algorithm"

That may be true...but I would venture a guess that the primary reason they keep track of searchers habits is to serve more relevant ads.

5. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

"Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life. Whether you want to or not."

6. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago

Meh, I'm not terribly worried about facebook sharing stuff I post on facebook. Facebook is for publicity not privacy.

At the same time, I agree that facebook has no business datamining my browser's cookies. Unless I choose to post a thing on facebook, facebook has no right to that thing, imo.

7. JulesGerome profile image61
    JulesGeromeposted 6 years ago

I don't see what's the problem with Face Book. It's a social network and it works pretty well as such. If you want to be private, don't even e-mail. Talk face to face.