jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Cat Meow in My PC

1. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I have some cat-meow sound that comes out of my desktop PC every once in awhile.  I don't think it comes out when I have the headphones plugged in.  It only seems to happen when I have the speakers plugged in and on.

Does anyone know where I would have to look (what files) to get rid of that?   (Or does anyone know who puts cat sounds into downloads?)  It seems it may be related to my Yahoo e.mail.

I don't have a lot of "foolishness" downloaded on my PC.  I did once (on this machine, I think) start to download Smiley Central (which has silly voices on it).  I thought I got rid of that, though.  I have two inactive screen-savers, and before a Firefox update I used to have a tool bar I downloaded from there.  The virus scans come up good, so I'm assuming it's built into something I intentionally downloaded.  (It isn't some "generic", malfunction, sound that sounds like a cat.  It sounds like a recording of a cat meow - and it sounds exactly like my daughter's cat.

1. 60
      gawthropposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Disregard the previous comments about the processor and hard drive. It is a runaway script of some sort; an infection.
           I am trying to both solve the probelm  and get a straight answer but no one seems to know how to remove the script.

2. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

Have you opened up your computer tower to make sure that there isn't a cat stuck in there? Thats the only thing I can think of smile

Now there is a small chance that I may sound like a genius here.... do you have a Hitachi Harddrive? Check your hardrive brand, think you can do this by right clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting properties (may be wrong there).

Some Hitachi hard drives actually make a meow type sound when they self-calibrate. IBM hard drives can do this too.

If so, this is harmless, do not worry - but the meowing wont stop.

Hopefully within 5 minutes you will be calling me a genius, otherwise it could be something more sinister... like a faulty fan.

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Ryan, thanks.   One person who is far from a genius with this stuff is me - I just checked what I think is that information about the computer, itself, and all I saw that looked at all like it may be the hard drive is "processor?"  If that's it, it's Intel Pentium.  On another "if that's it" note (and this was a long time ago), I do know that there was a time IBM and Intel were connected.

I sure hope it's not a faulty fan.   (This thing sounds exactly like a hungry (starving), full-grown, cat.  It's not just a little squeak (like kittens make  LOL  ).  It comes out far louder than the volume of the radio I listen to. )

The one thing that makes me suspect something I downloaded (like an idiot) is that there was a time I had "rogue, hideous, laughing" coming out every once in awhile (and I think that was from that Smiley Central mistake I made.  LOL ).

Oh well,   thanks again.   smile

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi, that is not your hard drive - thats a processor. You may be able to ascertain your hard drive brand via Control Panel.

Check out this forum thread http://club.myce.com/f43/px716a-cat-meo … es-152915/

Lots of people with the same problem.... and the conclusion was Hitachi drives.

4. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

Hi, it sounds like you got a haunted pc! sorry I can't help, but I just couldn't resist it!

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

I have a cat in my PC 2!

I let him out from time to time - especially when I'm having a bad day.  Should I send him over to clear up the problem?  He's pretty good!

6. Thorn058 profile image79
    Thorn058posted 6 years ago

Lisa if you are suspecting that the sound is tied to your yahoo mail or yahoo messenger go to your messenger panel click on messenger and scroll down to preferences and check under alerts and sounds. It should have one listed to the left for new mail highlight it and then you can check the sound.

If you are checking Ryan's suggestion click on your my computer icon when your hard drive icons are listed left click on any one of them and scroll down to properties once the new window pops up look on the hardware tap and it should list the type of hard drive you have WD is western Digital, Maxtor should have have a full name, seagate and so on.

With out more specifics I am not sure what else to offer.

7. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

LOL, Im pretty sure this has happened to me also.

I cant remember how I stopped it..hmm

Oh yeah, got a dog.

no really, your problem is not uncommon.. a google search would show many people with the same issue

In my case, i think it was either YInstantmess or MSN or AiM - autostarting on boot - sitting in the task abr w/o me noticing and the "meow" was the sound associated with new users logging in.

Since I didnt actually use any of those programs I just removed them from my start up folder and was a happy cat-less pc user again

thre usual response is "run a malware scanner" check and see what programs are running in the background

8. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

Sounds like one of those little MS Word buddies...you know, like the paper clip guy and the gnome.  But if it's not.....

Then you must be experiencing paranormal activity or delusions.