jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

iPad advice please . .

1. climberjames profile image61
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

Hey, I'm considering an iPad and I was wondering if I got the wifi model is it possible to insert a 3g sim at a later date?

1. Entourage_007 profile image79
      Entourage_007posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I dont think that you could insert a 3g sim. I have had an ipad for about a month and I dont see any outlets to insert anything, except for the charging port of course.  I decided not to get the 3g but thats because im always close to someones wireless connection.  Plus I save money by not paying monthly fees for internet

2. 61
      bluesteel124posted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you think you are going to use your ipad on the go, you should probably go with the 3g.
      The wifi model can tether a connection from your iphone if you jailbreak the iPad and install the app.

Most people are reluctant to jailbreak the device because it can void your warranty.

BTW, I love my iPad.
      Here is a great resource I use for any iPad related questions.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Nope.  These things don't open up.

3. jondav profile image66
    jondavposted 6 years ago

I kinda wish i got the 3G model now - but it is a lot more cash

4. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

I'm very happy not having the ongoing monthly charges and just WiFi works for me.

But what's important is to pick what really serves your needs.

5. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

But there are no on-going monthly charges.

You can turn it on when you need it and shut it off when you do not.

For example, we recently went on a trip, so I bought the $15 data plan.

I didn't use all of it, so it's good for a few  more days, but I will shut it off so it doesn't auto renew.

No contracts.  On and off when you need it.

6. climberjames profile image61
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

Hey, apologies for not coming back to this post, been on holiday without net access.

Thanks for all the responses, it is a bit of a shame that you can have the option all from one device, but I guess the difference in price is significant.

I think I'm going for the wifi model as I could do without additional costs.

7. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 6 years ago

I would recommend the wifi model. If the A1 chip is anything like other ARM processors I believe there's different variants with chipsets that support certain wireless standards such as 3G, 4G, EVDO, etc.

8. iESmedia profile image60
    iESmediaposted 6 years ago

If you want to use the 3G feature on the iPad, you must buy the iPad 3G. If you want to use 3G on the Wi-Fi, you have to tether it (and jail break your iPad) using your iPhone, Blackberry, or Android phone (but no other phones are supported).

1. digitalmom profile image60
      digitalmomposted 6 years ago

I would recommend you looking into getting a wimax. Way more bang for your buck then suckering up to the AT&T data plan for the iPad!