jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Game.US SEO's value same as Game.COM?

1. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 6 years ago

I'm just using "Game" as an example, let's say for example you wanted a website with a simple generic name, such as game.com, yet it's taken, if you still get game.US do you believe that you will rank really well for a keyword rich domain? Even though there is already a game.com? Do you see any issues?

I know that they can't really fight to stop people from gobbling up and using other domains of the same name if it's generic naming, or at least I believe they can't because it's generic... right?

2. LeanMan profile image82
    LeanManposted 6 years ago

There is nothing to stop you from doing it, unless they buy all versions of their domain to stop you!!

Originposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, they didn't. There is still...

domain.US
      domain.INFO

They didn't get those yet. There are (2) different websites, one is using domain.COM, the second is domain.NET which is ran by a different company, I would probably use one of the others and install a wiki on it.

Hmmmmm.........

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Sure, go for it. It is probably worse than .com, but better than a completely unrelated name. smile

Originposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, without giving out what it actually is, it's a single word domain name, but the competition would be extremely high for it. But, hypothetically if I create it as an informational resource I could theoretically rank really high if search engines would view it as such.

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Whether you have enough power and time to rank well for it and whether it is worth the effort - is altogether different story, and I did not touch on it. You know better. smile

5. LeanMan profile image82

Let us know how you get on...

Have you looked at other search results in high competition areas to see the range of types of domain?? My understanding is that the results you will see will be affected by where you search from, so if you have a .au then you will more likely be ranked high in a search in australia (au is australia?? lol)

So I guess a .US will be fine for the US if that is where you expect to get the traffic..

But I suppose Misha is right, you need to do the research and see if you have any chance of ranking for the right keywords against the competition and how long and how much effort is required..

6. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 6 years ago

It will probably be a lot of effort as well as a rather overly large time investment. I'll sit on it for a little bit (not too long though!). big_smile

7. LeanMan profile image82

If it is not an expensive domain, buy it, try a little.. If it comes even close to challenging what ever it is that you want to compete against... they may buy your website from you just to eliminate potential competition!!

8. SEO Ibiza profile image60
    SEO Ibizaposted 6 years ago

If you only want to rank in the US, that would be fine, a .US domain will struggle globally in comparison to the .com

legally there's nothing to stop you doing whatever you want.

9. Richieb799 profile image63
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

Like Misha said, is it worth the effort using your SEO skills to try and rank high with it just in the US, when you could choose a different domain.com and have people from all around the world interested?
    Is it a site for gaming tips? you could be missing out on a large market percentage with domain.us

working