jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

Will Adobe's Flash ever work on Apple tech?

1. climberjames profile image59
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

The situation (as I understand it) is that Apple is not happy with the way that Adobe controls Flash?

Can anyone advise whether the two are likely to resolve the situation, is there no way that Apple can create a work-around? Or is this the problem?

I imagine (as I don't YET own one) that this issue hinders iPad usability quite a bit?

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

I can't say I've found myself hindered in the slightest by the iPad not supporting Flash and the tablet's been my constant toy/tool for the last few months.

Remember, it's not meant to replace a laptop, it's a different type of tool altogether.

climberjamesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good to hear, Thanks relache!

When I do manage to snatch an iPad it wont be replacing my laptop for sure.

3. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 6 years ago

Flash works well on OS X. Apple just claims to have issues getting it to work on the iPhone. But that's most likely because they're coming out with their own "version" of Flash-like technology. smile

Nice one, thanks Ixxy - gets a tad annoying on the iPhone at times.

4. 61
    Jetsrubyposted 6 years ago

Flash and Apple products like ipod touch, iphone, and ipod is a very controversial matter currently. Apple only supports the .mov, .mp4 and .m4v video files as well as alot of other audio files like .mp3 or AAC. The problem about flash involves the particularness of Apple, not problems trying to create it. Apple definately has the ability to put flash on their smaller products, but they choose nt to. The reason people think highly of flash is because it is used frequently for MANY videos online and MANY games and etc. Think of flash however of the "Windows" and .mov as the "Mac". Just like many programs, most support windows despite the greatness in quality fo a mac which is why more people involved with buisiness buy windows, because it can accept more programs and adapt universally, YET is CRAPPY quality compared to MAc. Same goes for the video format. Despite the frequent use of flash, .mov or .mp4 is better quality and works better which is why it was chosen on the products. Maybe later in the future Mac will find themselves in a corner having to accept Windows formats and Flash,  but FOR NOW...there IS NO WAY they will consider using flash....Sorry bud

5. 0
    peacefulparadoxposted 6 years ago

Some many website uses Flash.  I certainly want Apple to run Flash.  It would be a great disadvantage to Apple if they can not get iPhones and iPads to run Flash.

6. DominatorMatrix profile image60
    DominatorMatrixposted 6 years ago

No. Apple hates flash. Adobe Flash for mac is slow, and crashy. Apple just doesn't want that on there mobile devices.

7. mendoan anget profile image61
    mendoan angetposted 6 years ago

Many mobile gadgets and web-related industries now starting to move to HTML 5, which can handle many jobs previously done by Adobe Flash, but without any problems like draining batteries like mad or make our device slower and easily crash as is done by flash. Flash technology will soon be obsolete.

Sounds good! I will wait patiently . . .

8. Joe8943 profile image79
    Joe8943posted 6 years ago

If you have a jailbroken ipad you can download a program called Frash that will allow flash on the ipad and very soon will be released for jailbroken iphones as well, other than that flash will never otherwise be available.

1. OneMoreLevel profile image60
      OneMoreLevelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Or, You can download an app for free called CloudBrowse, and then you can play most flash games on there. Even runescape!

9. naluaspencer profile image60
    naluaspencerposted 6 years ago

Nope, probably not and most likely never. According to Steve Jobs, flash just isn't up to par with running on the their mobile devices. I contradict him on this as I believe it would be a positive addition to their mobile device line, especially the iPad.
    Since  full, hardware accelerated flash is able to run on Android Devices running 2.2(Froyo) and so on and is running smoothly, what is the reason it should not be able to run on Apple's devices?

10. Golf Swing King profile image59
    Golf Swing Kingposted 6 years ago

Steve Jobs has made it pretty clear that Apple will probably never support Flash.  Apple wants to control applications developed for the iPhone, and Flash is a development platform of its own.  If they allow Flash on the iPhone, it would allow developers to create their own applications for the iPhone, which is what Apple does not want, as they would lose business.  They want people to buy apps through their own iTunes store

11. 61
    theipadtesterposted 5 years ago

Ive found flash players very simple and user friendly and it not supported by apple products is indeed a misery !!

12. CanTechReviews profile image61
    CanTechReviewsposted 5 years ago

Apple has spoken out about flash, and one of the main reasons i believe they do not include it w/ their mobile devices is because flash is originally designed for desktop computers, and the type of rollover animations that can be done with a mouse.  Their devices only have touch inputs, and mostly smaller screens (minus the iPad) which wouldn't even be suitable for flash, but if they were, sites would most likely load very slowly.

Read the offical thoughts from Steve Jobs, here: