jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Windows 7-Notepad constantly opening. Any reasons why?

1. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

OK, all you computer Gurus....why does Notepad constantly open on its on with Win 7? And at times the cursor will just disappear and after a hard tap over hard-drive area it will re-appear?

Any answers?

2. sunforged profile image63
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

perhaps you have inadvertently set a hotkey or shortcut to open notepad?

Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if I have or not. This has happened since I got this replacement computer with Win 7 (64 bit). I haven't set any shortcut keys.

I can be idle...and Notepad will open.

3. sunforged profile image63

I remember that happening  at times when I had Win XP. But not near as many times as it does with Win 7.  As long as it is not some sort of Virus or a hacker  I am probably not that concerned, just will have to keep closing it. lol

Why can't Windows put out a product without problems??? lolol

2. Michael Willis profile image77

I have bookmarked the link you gave me so I can keep up with the discussion to see if someone has an answer.

Thanks for your answer and the link!

4. sunforged profile image63

Its an XP forum - but youll see two of the posts are from diff Win7 users, one with the a barnd new laptop.

The obvious solution (as also suggested in the thread) is that it must be a shortcut issue - you say this happens during idle also - so a program must be requesting it.

Look through your task manager and see what programs are running in the background and in your startup folder - disable all that ar enot necessary - this will hekp w/ system performance an dif your lucky you will also find teh offending program.

Its prob not a win7 error, its probably an annoting bloatware program that came installed or an adware program you picked up inadvertently

OK, thanks. I will look at that. Although...not being a computer Tech/Geek...I really am not sure to to look for to disable. 
      I saw the comments with Win 7 on Dell. And since I am one of those unfortunate ones with a Dell I am wondering if that may be a cause also.

5. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Surely it must be Dell fault lol

LOL, if only it was that easy!    When I had the issue with XP I had a Hewlett Packard.

working