Question About Network Connections and Wireless Router

1. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

This is going to be a really dumb question, but someone I know has Verizon FIOS as their network.  She has a desktop, so wireless isn't a factor for her.

She's having connection problems, and her son managed to get her PC connected to the Internet "around" the router.  Then she lost the connection.  Now she asked if I could help her with it.

I don't know what her son did in order to get her machine connected to the Internet.

So, my question is whether (with a desktop and no need for a wireless connection) it matters if her router is bad with Verizon FIOS.  (She's put in calls to them, but it's been a whole, long, deal and she was hoping to get on the Internet "on an emergency basis" until she can deal with the whole thing of figuring out if the router is bad.

My machine was on FIOS for awhile because my kids' laptops, but I stopped using it when we didn't need that (and I never learned the exact role of the router, beyond its role in wireless connection).  (I'm not networked to someone else's system, so I'm not dealing with an Internet provider at all.

She's got Windows XP (I have Vista), but I'm going over to see if I can help her later.  I know my machine has the "diagnose connections problems" thing, but beyond that and making sure all is plugged in, I didn't know what else to start looking for.    (She's got resume emergencies.  hmm )

Any tips or help or advice would be really appreciated, because I'm obviously more "muddler" than expert.   smile

(She was on the Internet, and all seemed well; but all of a sudden the connection was out.)

(One other question: Is the ethernet "plug" the only one any cable should/would be connected to, or are there are others that might serve as alternate connections if, by any chance, she's got "issues" with the one ethernet connection?) My machine is connected at the ethernet plug, but I'm networked to someone who has the wireless router.  I thought, though, it was plugged in somewhere else (since I don't use wireless) before I recently disconnected it (but someone told me I was wrong about that).  Anyway, I'm looking for all possible options.

Thanks to anyone kind enough to offer advice/tips.

2. 0
    mtsi1098posted 6 years ago

A FIOS router is usually required even if only 1 desktop is connected to the internet.  The cable would go from the desktop to any port in the router except the WAN port.  The basic setup of the router should be everything you need.

to trouble shoot...

turn off dekstop
    turn off router
    turn on router (wait for all green lights)
    turn on desktop

if you are not connected, try a different port in the router

if you still cannot connect try my email and we can try to work through it

1. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

mtsi1098, thank you   smile