jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

effectiveness of social networking sites

1. ramkkasturi profile image61
    ramkkasturiposted 6 years ago

How effective are the social sites? What are some things you do to build a network that really remains stable?

1. ofmelancholy profile image74
      ofmelancholyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

From my point of view they don't work

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

can't really comment on social networking internet sites.....my social networking takes on a very different look - it's much more personable and not just limited to email e.g. seeing people face to face, phone calls, snail mail, social gatherings, etc.  I need to network constantly in my work....and various ways are very important to keep the connections long term and current etc....i even refer to my communication plan every few months to stay on track.

As for networking via internet only - on a personal level I haven't had a lot of experience there - a little of facebook which I thought was a waste of time after a couple of months and now i'm here on HP - don't know where it will go - initially joined to get some things off my chest through writing....and of course have found the forums and have connected (very short term) in my own way - and that will evolve somehow, someway....but i'm not building a plan around it - the way i would normally handle my working social networks...or anything i'd attempt at a strategic level.

not sure if that is what you are after - those are my immediate thoughts.

3. Joe8943 profile image79
    Joe8943posted 6 years ago

I've seen some good things, Facebook is my 6th highest traffic source right now and I just started on Twitter.  The big thing on Twitter is when you post something seeing people retweet it and watching traffic grow exponentially although normally only short term.  With how many millions of people that use some social networks it only makes sense to utilize them.  Of course Twitter and Facebook are only a couple of the ones I use.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Stable?  The WWW?  Those two terms are completely incompatible - anything on the net requires constant attention and tweaking on only a short time.  Change is the name of the game.  smile

1. brettb profile image70
      brettbposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It depends what niche you're in. I'm in niches where my rankings have been unchanged since 2003 and where I've not done much SEO since '07. Now that's passive income!

2. ofmelancholy profile image74
      ofmelancholyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

''change is the name of the game''
      ı agree

5. Sunny Robinson profile image84
    Sunny Robinsonposted 6 years ago

Oh, serious good answers here.

SomeWayOuttaHere, I agree with you.  I got mildly spammy on my facebook and then immediately decided that I didn't want to do that anymore.

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

This has been raised on the forums quite a few times before. Basically:

►Most social networking sites have nofollow links meaning they are worthless from a SEO viewpoint.
    ►Most of the traffic is low quality - meaning most won't click adverts or buy things.
    ►The traffic rarely lasts more than a day or two then disappears. Working on SEO means increasing your traffic more over time instead of hoping for one single day of good traffic.

7. Cordale profile image76
    Cordaleposted 6 years ago

I mainly thought that they didn't work at all either until I stumbled across Reddit.com. I posted two somewhat interesting subjects there and get 100+ views a day from there on both subjects!