jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

I just discovered these guys. Looks like the real deal. Here is a quote from their website (the part put in bold was my doing):

What is Joomla?
    Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.

Opinions are solicited.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress are all free software programs which you can use to build a website or blog.

Like lrohner, I also researched all three before setting up my first website.  Joomla sounded more complicated to learn than Wordpress so I went with Wordpress.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I used Joomla for one of my sites with pretty good results. The learning curve was a bit more than, say, WordPress but way less than a lot of the other options. For me in the end, it turned out to be more than I needed for what I was doing, so I went back to WordPress, which I was much more familiar with.

When I evaluated it (a year or so ago), I was told that if you want a blog, use WordPress. If you want to blog and may want to do other things AND have $5,000 to spare, go Drupal. If you want to blog and maybe do other things and don't have $5,000 to spare, use Joomla.

Don't know if that still holds true or if something else has come up on the horizon.

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Both of your posts motivated me to do more research. It occurred to me to wonder which CMS would still be around in let us say 5 years. I don’t want to invest my time and energy into something that will become obsolete (I’ve been down that road before).

So I decided to do a job search. For anyone who is interested, here are the results from one jobsite:

joomla 710
    wordpress 1528
    drupal 1855

1. kubth profile image75
      kubthposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Bit late, but to add my 2 cents..

Out of all the open source CMS, the three you listed are the ones I would and have used on a regular basis. They are all long standing, widely supported CMS with huge communities of developers.

Wordpress is the best out and out blog, if thats what you're after. Drupal is as powerful for blogging and then some too, but with a very steep learning curve compared to Wordpress. I would recommend WP for anyone starting a blog really.

Joomla is excellent as a general CMS, and not really much harder than Wordpress to get your head around. It's a great choice for feature-laden sites, and there are a massive array of extensions to suit many needs.

Drupal is the probably best of the bunch in reality, with many well known commercial sites using it as a foundation. It does require a lot more input just to get set up how you want it, but if you've got some experience it's worth a go as it's probably more efficient and more powerful than Joomla, with many more extensions available for all kinds of purposes.

So to summarise..

Wordpress - great for blogs
      Joomla - great for everything else
      Drupal - excellent for more advanced CMS users