question about SheToldMe......

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Donnacha C profile image72
    Donnacha Cposted 13 years ago

hello....I hope someone can help me with my question... Though an avid Hubpages fan, I have registered with SheToldMe as well, in the hope of getting more traffic....

I`ve already seen other hubbers there and when I`ve checked out their scoops (hubs over there) I`ve noticed they are mostly just links to their hubapges articles really....

My question is, what is the best etiquiette when one joins other sites in order to promote one`s hubs? should I write articles solely for SheToldMe as well as linking my Hubpages articles?

many thanks for your help!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

When using social bookmarking sites the correct etiquette is basically to link to sites that you like, not ones you just want to promote. Although very few people seem to do this!

However due to so many newbies rushing off to 'promote' their new hubs, either their accounts get banned or the whole hubpages site gets banned for spamming and over promotion (generally for a short time but it still hurts the whole of the hubpages site).

What I've seen recommended is bookmarking 9 other sites then 1 of your own to even it out.

I don't go on shetoldme, but I'd recommend using it just to write short articles as backlinks for your own work.

However many people (myself for the most part included, mostly out of sheer laziness) don't use social bookmarking sites. This is basically because most of them provide very short term, low quality traffic (meaning not many clicks or sales). Also, most have nofollow backlinks which means they're almost worthless unless you post one of the '1 in a million' links that takes off and becomes internet famous.

Some people have suggested that, since google is always trying to get the best search results for its customers, it will soon ignore anything to do with links on bookmarking sites, and see them for the link farms they really are.

Edit:

Instead of getting short term low quality traffic from social networking/bookmarking sites, consider working on SEO and keyword research so that google sends you some visitors. Google views usually increase over time instead of being one hit wonders.

Sorry about the long post... once I get started I just don't stop!

Donnacha Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you very much for your insight! I did sign up on SheToldMe, but will probably just try to see if by posting a few (new) articles and backlinking them will my traffic increase at all....
      I don`t think I will spend on awful lot of time there though....would prefer spending time writing hubs instead:)

yeah, gonna have to get familiar with SEO, at the moment it`s like Chinese to me....

thanks again!!!!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with WryLit on this one!  I do not spend time backlinking to these types of sites because they seldom provide much in the way of revenue via clicks. 

Use SEO and write quality hubs and the traffic will come to you!

3. JulieBMack profile image60
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

Social bookmarking, if used properly, can generate traffic.  In addition to that, if you are active on these sites, others will start to see you as more of a trustworthy authority, and not a spammer.  The best way is a balance between self-promotion, interesting facts/news, and promoting others, with the least amount traffic on self-promotion... 9:1 seems about a reasonable ratio!  smile
    P.S. I have not used She Told Me!

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, I have said this many times and always manage to get somebody ticked off at me, so..

The IDEA of social networking is fine.   However, dishonest schemers abuse it horribly by trading links or, in their haste to get the 9 to 1 ratio, just slap in any old junk links or links of their own at other sites.

Yes, there are honest folks really recommending content they like.   But the infestation of the grey hat SEO types makes me see it as a cesspool I want nothing to do with.

Social media is not something I want anything to do with.  I feel so strongly about it that, on every page at my main site, I have a request NOT to share anything of mine on any of those sites, period.    Insane?   Yes, but those are my feelings.  I do NOT recommend that behavior to anyone else!

I know this is an unpopular opinion.  More than one of the "big names" here has said that I am naive (and worse).   But I see it this way and have no respect for those who do things like this - both because they are trying to manipulate Google and because they help destroy the actual value those sites should have.

So - just to save those "you are naive" people some time, let me quickly add that those of you who do not care and are just here to make money using whatever means are necessary should pay absolutely no attention to me because I am a dinosaur, clueless, naive, somewhat insane and hopelessly stupid.     I sm not being sarcastic - well, maybe a teeny, teeny bit, but only that teeny bit; mostly I can absolutely agree with all that.

And now I'll shut up and let the SEO sharks tell you what a hopeless fool I am.

1. JulieBMack profile image60
      JulieBMackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am curious why you are so against social media.  I can't say I have heard this as a BAD use of marketing, unless you are a spammer or overly zealous with self-promotion.  It is also a great way to connect with others.   

I mean schemers are EVERYWHERE really....

But, why would tell people NOT to share the stuff if they like it.  Isn't that the point of social bookmarking??? like SU and Digg, etc. How do you market your writing, products, etc? 

I am just curious. I don't think you are naive or am I ticked off.. lol

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tell people not to put my stuff there because I detest the dishonesty that goes on there.  It's simply a moral stand.  I don't need "marketing" or SEO; I do fine without it and have been for many, many years - before there were any social networking sites, before Google, before Adsense, before SEO.

YMMV.  YMWV (your mileage will vary).

Pay no attention to me.  I'm a dinosaur.  I know nothing.   I am a danger to newbies. Nothing I have to say has any value whatsoever.

1. JulieBMack profile image60
          JulieBMackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL well at least you are honest.  I guess it is a different world we live in these days... smile  Thanks for your feedback.  I am curious what YOU do do if not SEO or Social networking....

I don't have to do anything.  I write what I want to write and sometimes enough other people like it that it gets good SERP and makes some money.  It's called "organic" growth.   

But again: nothing I say has any value.  You have to lie to Google to ever get anywhere.  You have to build link wheels, beg for links, buy links, trade links, plaster yourself all over SU, Digg, and everywhere else.  Create lots of other accounts to praise yourslf here.  It is dog eat dog and you have mouths to feed, so eat first and have morals later.  That us the RIGHT way to do it.

1. WryLilt profile image88
              WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd still rather believe anything you said than some of the 'gurus'. Not every person on hubpages has been writing on the 'net since the mid 90s. wink

Plus it gives me a great excuse not to backlink or promote. big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

You won't make as much money my way.  My way is the old way - it isn't the modern SEO way.  My way is slow and not as lucrative.  If you want money, listen to them.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                  WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I want money, but I'm still with the 'keyword research is better' crowd, at least. Plus I'd rather spend time writing more hubs than hours backlinking and promoting. big_smile

2. alternate poet profile image67
                  alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I followed your discussion on the rowdy thread about this big_smile    I can see where you are coming from and I can see why your 'way' is less attractive to people new to this game.  Hubs seem to build organic traffic as you say, but it is a desperately slow process I think.  It would be less slow if the subject is 'popular' I am sure and if the writing is good enough for people to read rather than skip by.  The big issue is the time for anyone starting now, and the intense competition with every man woman and child 'at it', even finding a niche requires intense research it would seem.

Absolutely.  Scruples are  for suckers.  Anybody who tells you not to take any short cuts to success is a fool.  A fool in a clowns wig, in this case.

5. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I was under the impression that Shetoldme existed to promote your blog, website, or product you are selling.  I don't think you're supposed to put up original content in there.

1. gracenotes profile image87
      gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a SheToldMe account.  And you are correct.  Nobody should hesitate to use SheToldMe if they want to.

Taken directly from the page for new sign-ups:

"By registering on this site, you'll be able to create links to all your articles and pages, which will increase your web traffic
      as well as improve your site/blog rankings on search engines."

Notice the use of "your articles and pages", and "your site/blog rankings on search engines."

6. Donnacha C profile image72
    Donnacha Cposted 13 years ago

to all who have answered, many thanks!

I think my original gut feeleing was right, about not to go with social bookmarking.... Of course I would love to make money from writing (soon), but this a long term plan for me, and I don`t want go get banned or pick up enemies or anything in the meantime....

7. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

It sounds like you may have already made up your mind on this.  I’m really a novice myself, but would offer a few thoughts…

There are many successful hubbers here who, if I understand correctly, strongly believe in backlinking:  Mark Knowles, Misha, Nelle Hoxie, sunforged, to name a few.  I would suggest do a search of their hubs and forum posts on the topic of backlinking. 

And I may be wrong, but I think backlinking is an SEO strategy.  Bookmarking on sites like SheToldMe is not just about direct traffic from STM.  It’s also about things like building enough backlinks through efforts like bookmarking and RSS feed bookmarking to build your authority in Google and other search engines, therefore increasing traffic and ultimately AdSense earnings.

This happens over time naturally.  So if you’re incredibly patient, do nothing except write great content and wait it out. 

I use STM, RedGage, and Snipsly because they are fairly user friendly and open to you bookmarking your own stuff.  I have dabbled with a few others.  I plan to use some of the RSS sites. 

Best of luck to you.

Donnacha Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you rmcayne! I will defenitely do more research before I do anything, just to be sure. All of you have provided me with great tips so I already feel a bit more confident.

many thanks again

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're right, but there are backlinks and backlinks.  There was a thread recently where that was discussed - the consensus was that if you had to prioritize your various backlinking methods, social bookmarking is the LAST thing you should do.

It's more work to get backlinks by posting on do-follow blogs and forums, and writing articles for other blogs and websites, but the links are so much more valuable, it's worth it.

SheToldMe advertises itself as a place to self-promote. It's such a junkyard I doubt links there have any authority at all.

3. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't say for others, but I personally never advocated the use of Shetoldme for backlinking - too much hassle for too low return IMO. Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding here smile

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tried backlinking my new hub "Google Homepage" through SheToldMe, but some other SOBs are still ahead of me in the search rankings smile

8. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've been writing here for 10 months and sporadically backlinking the odd hub or five to social networking sites like shetoldme.
    My traffic never increased when I backlinked.
    However, once I learned how to SEO, my sites naturally rose in the search engines, and backlinking to social networks occasionally awarded me with...a backlink!
    If your page is optimised, then backlinks are useful.
    However, if your page is not optimised, they are a waste of time and effort.
    Learn SEO first.

9. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have only used shetoldme once, for 3 hubs.  I got a small fistfull of visits over 3 days and nothing since.  No clicks.  I never pursued it any further.

I would much rather spend my time writing several evergreen hubs that will (hopefully) earn me something for years to come than get 1000 visits one time with no clicks or even a dozen clicks.  My HP time is not unlimited. 

Just my one opinion...

10. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Social Bookmarking is rarely worth the time and effort, the majority are nofollow links and your link will just be lost in the shuffle.

Manual Social Bookmarking is not worth the time expenditure in my experience.

There are exceptions but for the most part you want targetted traffic to your web locations, not browsers and tire kickers who are just stumbling by or diggin along. Even if they come in thousands at a time - the social bookmark traffic is rarely desirable and can in fact damage your earnings.

SheToldMe is not a true social bookmarking site, it is created solely for the purpose you are asking about - to "scoop" and promote your own writing - I find the minimal effort I put forward there is worth it in direct earnings and exposure.

If you are writing about webmaster/writer friendly topics then it could be a good source of interested direct traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)