jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Why does broadband disconnects everytime the phone rings.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
    Woman Of Courageposted 6 years ago

My broadband disconnects everytime the phone rings. My internet provider has checked my line and the filters to my phones. They told me the line is working good, and the filters to the phones are installed correctly, but I am still having the same problem. The internet technician has been to my house twice. Can anyone help me with a solution that works?

1. 60
      C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Has the tech actually tested the lines while there is an inbound call?

Woman Of Courageposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, The phone never rung when the tech was here either time. Do you think the problem could be resolved if he allow someone to call while he is here?

1. 60

I think it's a sure fire way of testing the operability of the filters. Simply connect to the net, use a cell phone to call the land line and see what happens. A simple line test sends a packet of data across the line and back. This simply means the line is capable of transmitting data. This test is useless because the very fact you are connecting to the net tells you the lines are working. The phone works, the net works, they just don't work well together.
          If you have filters installed on each phone/fax/modem in your home and they are all working properly. You may have to try having a DSL splitter ran from the NOC/NID(thats the little box you have outside your home. If you find that your filters are not working properly you may want to have new phone jacks installed that have the filters built in. Often in line filters are damaged by pulling, tugging or being trampled/crushed.

Thanks a lot!  I will have the tech to come again and install the splitter, hopefully I can finally have peace while online, considering we are paying for their service.

2. sunforged profile image65
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

My wireless phones are on the same frequency as my router so a phone call drops the internet connection, this can be corrected for me via pressing the channel button.

Is your connection "wired"

Thanks for your reply sunforged. Yes, I have wired internet connection(dsl), but I don't have cordless phones in my house.

2. 60

Good point. Not all wireless phones have this option. Frequency can cause problems.

3. sunforged profile image65
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

My Solution:

Call Bank or CC Company, block all charges paid to internet provider.

Call Internet/Phone Provider in a calmly irate tone explain that you need a technician to arrive and not leave until the problem is solved, explain that you will require a major service credit for your wasted time that involved two service calls, phone contact etc.

Are you limited to only one service provider option? If not, you can port your phone number over to a new provider.

ok thanks, I will require  a major service credit.

4. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

When this happens in BumbleTown - NZ... it is because there is a Train on our line and we need to switch our providers by pulling that big switch by the rails. smile

We cant rely on those lying, cheating technicians, who try to tell us that the 'problem' is something else! roll

I hope this helps... hmm
    Don't wait for the train to whistle.... ok? smile

I understand what you mean Pearldiver. In the beginning, I was told by the tech over the phone that it's was the electrical appliances around the computer causing this problem. Later, I figured it out on by noticing when the phone rings, I get kicked off the internet.

5. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Those filters on the phones are just to remove the noise caused by the internet data going back and forth, from being heard on the phone.  They have no effect on the DSL modem (or shouldn't).  Your phone line should be connected directly to the DSL modem (no filters).

My guess is that your DSL modem is defective, and/or your computer is not properly grounded.

When a phone call comes in, the voltage on the phone line goes way up.  The modem needs some way dealing with the sudden change, and not allowing the sudden pulses to interfere with the internet connection.  Get a replacement DSL.

If you have a tech come to your house, have someone call you while he's there and you're on the internet.

working