jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Is Amazon getting old?

1. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

I've decided I'm going to start making little mini stores inside some of my websites using affiliate widgets and feeds.

As we all know, Amazon is the biggest sponsor for this, with very flexible tools to use. However, do you think so many are using them that visitors actually get turned off?

I know when I go to some sites and see all those "amazon" buy buttons I get that "rolling my eyes" feeling. Like oh boy, another cut and paste job from someone pushing Amazon. roll

However many do make a lot with them. Also if you do it right you can add many keywords in a store page if you don't just use an rss feed or the like.

What do you think, do Amazon stores in websites make you roll your eyes, or do you think they would work well? hmm

Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What, nobody knows? Well how about you personally. When you visit a website and see the Amazon widgets and buttons, does it turn you off or are you interested in clicking them?

I guess I'm not going to get any replies, so here is what I decided to do. Those perfect, cookie cutter Amazon widgets IMO  leads to what I call "blank stares syndrome".

That is, you see them on so many sites that once you see one your mind just turns right off on it, like big flashing banners. I don't think they lead to many clicks.

So instead I'm going to copy the images, name them my keywords along with the title and alt tags. Then host them on my own server, paste my code in it, and finally use my own text to describe the product.

That way it's a full store, rich with my keywords and image search pictures. It looks different and people will click them. smile

Only thing is I need to pick items that will not change for a while, don't want to have to keep changing all my text and images. Yes I love doing things the hard way.  lol

2. Pro Design Source profile image62
    Pro Design Sourceposted 6 years ago

I agree, I think the amazon widgets tend to look spammy & I personally don't click on them. But, I know what they are and that could influence my decision.

I don't have enough experience using it to give you honest feedback though.

Let us know how the site does!

Thanks, glad you agree with me. See, if I make a full store within my site the way I intend to, I will rank much better than the normal code paste.

Many overlook Google image searches. If you name your image, image folder, alt and title tag your key words your sure to be on the first page of Google search. I know because I am. smile

Then, using text to describe the product you again use your key words. So not only does it look better and give you better ranking, it's more likely to get clicked on. smile

3. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

The general consensus is that Amazon converts very well, but the % paid is very low.

Whilst you can get 10% on electrical items from several affiliate schemes, and only 4% at Amazon, I firmly believe that you can achieve at least twice as many conversions on a site which people know and trust.

Amazon is still growing, and with $24bn revenues in 2009... that is a big pie to take a small slice from.

Assuming that the average commission is 5%, since electronics is by far their largest market.... if every sale went through an affiliate.... that is a $1.2bn market... more than the turnover of pretty much any direct competitor with an affiliate scheme, asides from eBay.

The possibilities are endless.

Yes they are big, which is why I've decided to make stores for their items in my websites. But I'll do it the way I described above. Since one is a Disney site, just think of all the toys I can sell in there, just in time for Christmas too! smile