E-mail Hacking Warning for Hubbers

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 6 years ago

Hello, all

Just a short note to warn everyone regarding what happened to me tonight and has happened to several of my friends very recently, re e-mail hacking.

Apparently, someone gained access to my e-mail account just a couple of hours ago and sent a message to all my contacts, in very poor English, asking if they wished to buy some form of electronic device and including a link.

I was lucky - I got an e-mail informing me of this from several contacts within minutes, got on to my e-mail provider and got my password and security settings changed immediately. If this happens to you, this is the first step you should take. My ISP (who also provide my Firewall, anti-virus, etc) told me that this is nothing to do with them.

What I then did was send an e-mail to all my contacts, advising them not to open that, "Fake," e-mail if they had not already done so but to delete it unread.

I really hope that none of you have this experience but that this information will help you if you do,

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hope you are right, but..

My wife has a bug in her computer that continues to randomly send emails to her addresses that have nothing but a URL link in them.  It is not a matter of someone accessing her email account, just her address book.

She has changed her security and password to no avail, and now it is on my son's computer as well - he must have visited the link.

2. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I have had this happen on numerous occassions.