jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What's the difference between spam and self promotion?

1. Annabelle74 profile image60
    Annabelle74posted 6 years ago

What's the difference between spam and self promotion? Where does one draw the line?
    I know this might sound like a stupid question, but i do believe there is a fine line, and i want to know how does one find this line and stay on the right side of it?
    How do you self promote without spamming?

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I believe the difference is thought.

There are many spamming sites that will automate spam.

However if you at least read the information on which you're posting your self promotion, you can at least add something to the original post.

Just a bit of thought can make it something that is actually worthwhile - whether it's feedback based on your own experience or a simple thank you for the post.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Is it solicited? or unsolicited .. that is the line

Really good well written unsolicited ad copy is still just spam - it just happens to be really good well written spam. smile

4. elayne001 profile image47
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

I think you know true spam when you see it - if it is over promotional instead of information - it will send you somewhere else to buy something like on a squeeze page or personal store, etc. I think many of us do it unintentionally, but some are very intentional.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

It is the same as the difference bewteen a plant and a weed: where you put it.