jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Change Domain Name Listed By Google - Is It Possible

1. Spacey Gracey profile image76
    Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago

Another non-HP help request from me, but you guys are always so helpful.

I built a website. Google indexed it. I changed the domain name to a better one. How do I get Google to change the domain name that is shows on the search pages? Both domain names go back to the same website so I'm not really losing traffic. Its just the new domain name looks prettier and I want to see it on a Google results page.

Thanks people.

1. 0
      ankigarg87posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Re register your new domain in google search engine

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Google hates it when a domain name is forwarded.

So…, forward the old domain. Keep the new domain at its direct, unique IP address.

This is an untried idea… See what others have to say first. smile

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago
  4. Spacey Gracey profile image76
    Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I really should have mentioned that it is only built on moonfruit.com. I just had another trawl thorugh the site and found a way of selecting a prefered address so hopefully that will do the trick.

5. net4gains profile image60
    net4gainsposted 6 years ago

There is no direct way to replace domain name. For search engines, another domain name is different business.
    Only option is do permanent redirect (301).

6. Bluehoop profile image59
    Bluehoopposted 6 years ago

I agree with net4gains. I think you're more or less starting again if you change the domain name. There's no way of 'keeping' the gains you've already made with Google. Google looks at tons of different things to see if it wants to rank you well (one of those things, it is said, is the keywords in the domain name) but it uses the domain as a 'key' to starting indexing the site. Change the domain and you change this key, so you're starting from scratch again. Best to take on board some search engine optimisation tips (there's lots to be had on hubpages) and get to work!