Bill's tip of the day,,, different sidebars in wordpress!

1. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

I'm in a giving mood today, and many here have their own wordpress blogs or websites.

One of the most important things you can do with your WP site, and which few do, is make different sidebars for each category!

Take for instance my Orlando tourist site. Some of the categories I have are :

Rental cars

Now, wouldn't it be great if on the rental car category, all your sidebar ads featured rental car related ads? Or on your hotel category they show all the best deals on hotels?

Of course it would! By using different sidebars you can display 10 times the amount of ads without making it look like crap.

You also target just what the surfer is looking for. Last but not least, you can swap links with other sites within each category.

Like, say a rental car site wanted to exchange links with you, or do a A-B-C link exchange. You can put their text link in the rental category sidebar, but it does not show on the front page.

That gives you 10 times the space you can use for reciprocal links. Now, I have not done it with my tourist site yet, but I will soon.

However I have done it to many others. So, how is this done? The best way to figure it out is to follow the wordpress docs on custom sidebars here:

You have to scroll down a ways. It's very easy, use your theme>>editor function in your WP dashboard. You do have to make new sidebar.php pages.

So that's Bill tip of the day. Make different sidebars in your WP sites and target ads to your categories, as well as make more room for links! big_smile

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tip! Always looking for new ways to add to my WP sites.

1. Bill Manning profile image70
        Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Glad to help. This technique is not used by many yet it's one of the best things you can do. With all the text in the sidebars describing one or two keywords for that category it can make your pages in each category rank higher. smile