jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

disappeared photos

1. SandyMcCollum profile image84
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

I put about 8500 photos on a dvd, took the dvd out, replaced it and pulled up the photos, made sure they were all there, and then took it out. I deleted all the photos on my pc to free up some space.

The next day I needed one of those photos, so I put in the dvd and it looks blank. In the "My Computer" page it looks full, and I can see the part that's been burned, but it just won't show me any photos.

Got any good ideas for me to try? I have no money for new software to pull it up but if you have any tips or tricks to share I'd greatly appreciate it. That's a lot of freekin photos.

Oh, and I have another dvd with only about 1400 photos on it that I did at the same time, and those pull up just fine. I have no idea what the diff could be.

1. M. A. Hook profile image61
      M. A. Hookposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It may also be the result of the disk not being "finalized." If your current software handles re-writable disks, and most of them today do, then you might try putting the disk back in and go through whatever process your Help section recommends to "close" the disk. I would also check the box that usually comes with burning software that says, "Finalize Disk?" and also the one that says, "Verify disk when done?" or some similar Geek-speak.

You might also try copying the photos back onto your hard drive. Some times the software can copy a file it can't open. Then you can burn them onto a new disk and make sure the program closes it properly and the files are accessible before deleting them again.

Good luck.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I disagree. Finalization is not required to process the disk on the computer where it was generated; only to make it accessible on other devices such as DVD players.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

I would try re-inserting the disk repeatedly. Check the drive for any dust, especially near the optical lense. If all else fails, try a different computer. What you are experiencing doesn't sound that unusual.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image84
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

Thank you, Website Examiner! smile I'll try that.

4. 0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago

Sandy ich ich oh I wish I knew something, I am on Mac and still wouldn't know.  Think positive because if it saw the disc twice it will again, just must!

Good luck girl!!!