jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Hardcoding top page in wordpress

1. Bill Manning profile image73
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Wordpress has the ability to keep a post at the top always on your home page. That is good if you want the home page to look more like a site.

However you also can do the same thing, and maybe have it better for SEO, by hard coding that in your index page. I assume a sticky post at the top still has that clickable header, and you don't want that.

I just hard coded a nice home page layout in my leather site, which you can see in my profile (hope that's ok to say).

I will soon do that to all my wordpress sites. Only thing I still can't figure out is how to do that with categories. I also will have different sidebars in each category. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Maybe I'm missing something, but why didn't you just create a static page, and set that static page as your home page?  No hard coding required.  That's what I do on all my sites.

For creating different sidebars, this plugin sounds interesting:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Impact-Page-Builder

Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes you could do that too, and I have made regular websites doing it that way, with a link to the blog.

However I want people to see that there is a blog right there that they can access. IMO it gives them more reason to stick around and maybe click a ad.

They see the main page, then as they scroll down they come to the blog. Hopefully they find something in there they want, or go back up and look at my jackets.

With a static page they may miss your blog link, people don't read much and might quickly hit the back button after not seeing what they want on the static page. smile

Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh BTW, for different sidebars I just hard code that into my pages also. The only thing I'm figuring out is how to have different top pages for each category, like my home page is.

Doing that is good SEO as you put all your keywords in that top page that describes your category. Just another SEO tool. smile

working