jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Turning the table on a spammer,,,

1. Bill Manning profile image71
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

So about a month ago I started getting spammy comments on all my sites, all of them.

It seems to be a guy who throws up dozens of one page sites with a fake email. He just makes a one sentence comment with his URL in the box.

Now, I have no proof, but I think Google likes pages that have comments. All the articles I get comments on, they go up in rank.

For a while I was just deleting them, but then figured why not use them to my advantage?

So, now every time he leaves a comment I approve it, then edit out his URL. So now I have comments but he gets nothing out of it.

You'd think he would check, but spammers don't do that. Thanks for the comments!  big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But here, we don't actually have a way to edit someone else's comments, do we?  It's either approve or deny?  [I understand that you are talking about other sites; I just wanted to double-check my comprehension.]

1. camlo profile image82
        camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wanted to ask the same question - it would be great if we could edit comments.

2. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

Yes, you have a way to edit comments! Copy the whole comment, name and all, and paste it into your reply to their comment. Then, edit out the links, and post your "reply" (which will now contain their edited comment, and your reply).

I have been doing that for ages, to get rid of the SPAMMER link, but didn't realize I would get credit for the comment - too cool big_smile

1. camlo profile image82
      camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've got one waiting to be done right now. Thanks for that!

3. I am DB Cooper profile image67
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

I don't think the spammers really care if you edit their link out or not. They auto-comment on thousands of blogs using scripts and if just 10% of those blogs auto-approve and leave in their link they'll be happy to take the PR juice it gives them. Approving the comment and leaving out the link is the same to them as deleting it. You could just as easily leave random comments yourself if that's what you think Google wants to see.

1. Bill Manning profile image71
      Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well all I know is every time a post gets a few comments the article gets more and more popular and higher in the ranks.

I don't know if Google can somehow "see" if I try to do that myself, so I don't. Anyway I figured if I've got a comment then I might as well use it, but if it's spam I'm going to make sure I take out the link. smile