jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

1. 61
    nbbatt.composted 5 years ago

Is it better to have a more RAM in the PC or laptop?

1. 61
      rashmi035posted 5 years ago in reply to this

1. technotips profile image59
        technotipsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, its always better to have more RAM. More RAM means more speed. I would recommend you to have minimum 2 GB of RAM.

2. 0
        mtsi1098posted 5 years ago in reply to this

sometimes but it depends on the other hardware (CPU and disk).  You could wind up with more RAM than your CPU is able to make use of thus leaving memory unused

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

1. Mikeydoes profile image79
        Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Couldn't have explained it any better.

3. Pcunix profile image87
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago

Yes, up to the architecture and OS limit.  A 32 bit machine cannot use more than 4GB and a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine can't use any more either.

A machine bought years ago may have had enough memory for its time.But every time there is an operating system patch, it almost always demands more memory.  The Internet has also put more loads on our RAM - web pages seldom used graphics when I started and even a few years ago most of it was low resolution (meaning low memory needs) and movies were unkown.

That's all changed.  Web pages now have many memory hogging graphic elements.

Finally, for Windows OSes, virus control has become more and more difficult, requyiring ever larger and more complicated programs.  Every time your virus scanner updates, it probably gets bigger and needs a little more ram.

Our habits and expectations have changed also.  In olden days, we'd close one thing before starting another. Today I have at least half a dozen things going at once and if you count browser tabs (which eat up ram also), I have twenty or more always.

Memory is cheap. Ramp it up.